SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgames_gw

Confused by deck prices

rgames
17 years ago

Greetings all,

I'm in the process of planning a deck and getting quotes - I've found this site to be a valuable resource during this process.

One thing that has surprised me is the cost to build a deck and screened porch. My deck plan is relatively straightforward - about 360 sq ft of open deck and 180 sq ft of covered porch - with a few clipped corners at about 7' - 9' off the ground. We're using either composite or Ipe (both come out about the same price in the estimates) with vinyl or composite rails. So, everything is pretty standard for a composite deck. The estimates I have gotten (three so far) have come in at $80 - $100 per sq ft for a turnkey deck.

Now here's the question: why so much? That's approaching the price I paid when I built my house. But my house has drywall, plumbing, HVAC, sinks, toilets, electrical, foundation, appliances, insulation, etc.

How can the prices be so similar? Is it just supply and demand? Or is the cost to build decks really comparable (on the basis of price per sq ft) to the cost of building a house?

Thanks in advance,

Richard Ames

Comments (10)