SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barnfield_gw

Installing underground water line to barn?

barnfield
17 years ago

Looking for advice and best method of running water to my new horse barn.

The goal is to rent a ditchwitch to trench a waterline below the frost line (2ft here) to a series of frost-free hydrants/spigots both at the barn and adjacent paddocks.

The house and well are located together and are about 200 ft from the barn & paddocks.

Should waterline originate from the house or the well?

In either case, I really want to have a main shutoff in the event that any of the hydrants has a failure, and I'm not sure how that would be possible if the line originates from the well.

Also, how do I get pressure if the line generates from the well? (Well has submersible pump, 1/2 HP I believe? and house has an oversized Well-Xtrol pressure tank.)

If the waterline originates from the house, the trench would have to navigate past (under? over?) the buried electrical from the street to the house. No way around it!

What's the best piping? I like the idea of ease of installation using a flexible line of some sort (since 200 ft is pretty far), but also need something the groundhogs/gophers can't chew through, so plastic/PVC conduit of some sort?

Another concern about ensuring enough water pressure: does terrain matter? The barn is downhill from the house, but there's a valley between. So from the house, the trench would go downhill then back uphill to get to the barn.

Comments (10)