SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
little_country_gal

Not more plumbing questions! DIYer could use a review!

little_country_gal
16 years ago

OK, here's everything in my little brain about pool plumbin' - Well, everything I can think of :)

For more info on the pool itself, see the link at the bottom.

Pool calculations:

Surface Area: 1375 square feet

Estimated 40,000 to 56,000 gallon pool

Sales staff says yeah its 40,000 gallons (after I express concern regarding anything bigger) ThatÂs there answer, and theyÂre sticking with it.

I estimated 56,000 gallons using the following crude calculations:

Average depth: (4+4+8.5)/3 = 5.5 ft

Assuming the shallow end is 2/3 of the pool and the deep end is 1/3 of the pool (Not typical but itÂs close for this monster!)

1375 square feet x 5.5 ft (average depth) = 7563 cubic feet

7563 cubic feet x 7.5 gallons/cubic feet = 56,718 gallons

Since thatÂs a HUGE difference, I used a little geometry, and came up with approx. 53,000 gallons.

Let use a 10 hour turn over rate and the largest volume:

56,000 gallons/10 hours = 5600 g/h

5600 g/h / 60 minutes = 93 GPM

or the smallest:

40,000/10 hours = 4000 g/h

4000 g/h / 60 minutes = 67 GPM

Now, IÂm stuckÂ.

We already have an Intelliflo 4x160, so it can do 160 GPM, but what size pipe? (IsnÂt that always the question!)

HereÂs the proposed plumbing schematic. As weÂre doing this all ourselves, IÂm concerned with every piece, not just specs to hand to a plumber, so check valves and diverters are critical too.

(If they're too hard to read, let me know and I'll work on it!)

Also already have a Hayward sand filter model S310 T2. ItÂs HUGE!!! ThatÂs 500lbs of sand yielding 4.9 square feet of filter area. The designed flow rate is 98 GPM. And should turn over 58,000 gallons in 10 hours. So I should be OK here.

We already installed a 2" line connected to 2 main drains in the deep end.

(Also there are (2) parallel 2" lines connected to 2 additional main drains in the deep end as the only supply for the waterfall pump.)

All 3 skimmers (actually Aqua Genies) are going to be plumbed with separate return lines, as it is not advantageous to try to tie them in together on the pool layout. So we end up with 3 parallel lines.

HereÂs were we probably goofed up already. We already plumbed 2 of them (return and supply) with 1 ½ inch pipe. (Got the itch to do something, before we got the brains to think it through!!!) Should we / Could we re-plumb with 2" pipe?

On the suction side we would then have:

(1) 2" line (deep-end)

(2) 1 ½ " lines (already plumbed skimmers)

WeÂre at effectively 2 ½" combined here?

(1) more skimmer to plumb in the deep end (1 ½" or 2")

so one more 1 1/2 " line would be effectively 3" total??

Also would this plumbing support the full 160 GPM that the pump is capable of?

Additional conciderations:

The Cozy Cove (unheated spa seats) has 6 pre-plumbed jets with a 1 ½" fitting. Can I / Should I run 2" pipe here?

Waterfall pump: Would like to get a Pentair AFP-120. (HavenÂt ordered it yet) No additional filter, just a strainer basket on the pump. The return is already plumbed with (2) parallel 2" lines connected to 2 additional main drains in the deep end. According to the manual, this would fall into the "high flow" plumbing size. The waterfalls should be no more than 5 feet above the pump level. Which should yield around 115 GPM according to the pump curves. I think IÂm good here. will it be enought flow to look good??

As suggested here on the forum, IÂd like to run a constant (OK not really constant, but anytime the pump is on) supply to the waterfalls with this pump to keep the waterfall water sanitized. I had originally thought of running separate plumbing to do this, but have since re-thought it. Can I tie it in to the waterfall pumpÂs return plumbing if I use check valves on each? I think so. But can I run both pumps at the same time? I think so here to (maybe), but IÂd like to here someone elseÂs opinion. (The proposed plumbing is on the above diagram.)

SWG: (DonÂt have it yet, but was planning on ordering the Easy Touch with IC-40 in a few days) The largest Intelli-chlor is the IC-40 (Too bad they donÂt make an IC-60) So should I need 2? Well even if we go with 40,000 gallons, the answer could be yes!

Additionally, the IC-20 and IC-40 both should not be supplied with no more than 105 GPM and recommended that over 80 GPM uses a bypass loop. So we should definitely use a bypass loop. If we need a second IC-20? IC-40? could I / should I install it in the bypass loop? My gut says order 1 with the Easy Touch, but make allowances to expand to 2 (second one in the bypass loop) in the future once I get the pool stabilized to turn over to salt. What do you think?

Now I know why nobody around here builds pools this big! They can be a real pain in the butt!!!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths