SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats737

Atmospheric vacuum breaker (handshower/Danze)

kats737
9 years ago

Hi - We are replacing the plumbing in our 1920s bathroom, and I'm trying to figure something out ahead of it becoming an issue.

Right now we have your standard tub/shower valve, tub spout with diverter, and handshower on a hose coming out of shower spout.

We are replacing it with a danze valve with diverter and tub spout, a handshower on a hose coming out of danze's wall outlet.

The handshower has a warning tag saying 'atmospheric vacuum breaker' required for installation. What is this and is it something relatively easy to work into the plumbing? Does it go behind the wall? There wasn't anything listed in the instructions and google is turning up a mix of stuff.

This post was edited by kats737 on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 15:22

Comments (4)

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

If you would have water in the tub, and you left the handheld shower submerged in the water - and if there was a vacuum in your water line - it could suck bath water into your potable water system.

The vacuum breaker will allow air into the system - thus there is no chance of contaminating your drinking water. Dish washers also have vacuum breaks.

You can get vacuum breaks that are part of the elbow connecting to the shower arm.

It's a highly unlikely scenario.

• kats737
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No peeing in the tub. Got it. LOL.

It helps to know the purpose of the item in the world of building code, but guess I can't guarantee perfect use and therefore we should install this if possible. Thanks.

So behind the wall, it would be one pipe that mixes hot and cold running up from the valve, vacuum breaker, shower nub going through the wallto out in front of the tile, then the 'supply elbow', then shower hose?

This post was edited by kats737 on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 15:24

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

You don't have to open up the wall. Just Google handheld shower vacuum break. There are several types

Here is a link that might be useful: Hand held vacuum break

• kats737
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gotcha thanks. I feel much better about being able to put this in, then. The picture of the item in use in that amazon link is super helpful - seems like it will go inline with the hose without too much headache.