SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

$60,000 pool - and they goofed!

tinker_2006
16 years ago

We are really upset - our pool has turned into a MESS. We are building a new home, and pool at the same time. The pool deck is going to be pavers, our builder poured the lanai correctly (low to accommodate the full size pavers) but the pool people shot the pool too low (3 inches). Now they are "building-up" the whole thing, and we are worried we are going to end up with cracks down the road!

They have had to add 2½"-3" inches of concrete along the whole pool, plus build up the skimmer, build up the spa over flow, build up the stairs into the pool, build up the seating area.. we have left the spa alone, but some people may think they are drowning in it because the water level will be about 3" more than normal.

Oh - and the footings for the pool cage are also too low and they too had to be built up. My husband is overseeing these corrections (which we feel they were hiding - but lucky dh knows a lot about building and such - and immediately knew they shot the pool too low).

He is concerned about the "cold joints" (where the old and new layer of concrete join). They did drill holes around the pool, and put re-bar in every so many feet. DH feels that this is "probably" okay. They didn't do this with the footings, but DH made them redo this the same way. However, they are NOT doing this to the steps and seat area, saying that there is no movement on these areas and they will be fine - they guarantee this. My DH did ask for an extended warranty - but the owner quickly said he didn't even know if he would still be in business next year!! (that gave us a warm and fuzzy feeling). We are building in FL - and the construction business is doom and gloom - we are just one of a few in the whole area building!

Any experts or thoughts on how this was handled or any other comments. They have NOT yet coated the pool with the pebble-tech... I think they should do SOMETHING for us, since they can't guarantee a warranty. I am pretty upset about this, as this pool is expensive!

Comments (17)