SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ajpdla

Hydronic Heating Question....

ajpdla
16 years ago

How easy is it to convert from a loop system to a manifold system, using existing 1/2" copper pipe runs and returns from the existing baseboard heaters and getting rid of the 1 1/4" galvanized loop piping which runs in a rectangle in the basement?

The existing system uses an electric boiler with a Bell & Gosset pump hooked into the 1 1/4" galvanized piping.

I would like to be able to control the level of heat in each room specifically as opposed to controlling the level of heat as it currently is being controlled from the thermostat reading in the hallway (one centralized location). At the point in time at which the thermostat reads 68, the closest room would be 68 where the rest of the house is, say, almost 9 degrees cooler.

I am assuming I can do a pex install from a manifold and hook the pex into the 1/2" copper piping at the run starts and return ends. But I am needing information on how to hook up the manifold and whether I can use the existing pump and electric boiler for this purpose or whether I need an alternate system for the heating and water supply.

Additionally, while on subject, there are two electric water heaters (both 50 gal.) in the house. Someone told me I should use the boiler for the water supply for the house. Can this be done as well, thereby eliminating the need for the hot water heaters, where the electric boiler (or some other installed product) supplies both the hot water at a higher temperature for the baseboards and a lower temperature for the house?

Thanks for any information given.

Comments (3)