SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tekbro

Decreased water pressure after new heater installation

tekbro
16 years ago

My location is Newport News, Virginia

My old RuudGlas 30 gallon natural gas water heater, circa 1989, began leaking the day before thanksgiving. I had Gnome Depro deliver and install a 40 gallon 9 year GE water heater to replace it.

The latest city codes say that the burner of the new heater would need to sit 18 inches off the garage floor. Also a new shutoff valve and drip leg had to be installed as well. The cold water piping comes into the garage low, through the wall from the crawlspace about 8 inches off the floor. It travels up a vertical leg (which had to be increased in height to meet the 18" height requirement) and then 90's over into a shutoff valve with then 90's over into the diaeletric nipple on top of the water heater.

The hot water does the same, except that there is no shutoff valve. That piping also had to be increased in length. So, "everything" is higher now.

The problem is, after having this new water heater installed, we've noticed a marked decrease in the water pressure coming out of our bathroom and washing machine. Could the additional 15" or so in piping height created enough head loss to cause such a noticeable pressure drop? What else could be causing this? (I've actuated the T&P relief valve per the instructions on the tank).

Comment (1)