SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teartags_gw

yet another softener sizing assistance request

teartags
12 years ago

I've been reading all the old softener posts here and they've been a huge help. However, this and all the other sites has me really confused on what size softener I need. We just moved into a house on a well and the water tested to

12 GPG

0.1 mg/l iron

177/230 tds

It's just my wife and I right now. We might have a kid, but probably not. House is about 2000 sf. We use the same shower and will remodel this soon to have a standard shower head and a steam shower. There's also a jacuzzi tub now which may stay or just turn in to a larger soaking tub. It'll probably be used 2-3 times a month. We're pretty conservative with water. Don't know if it's relevant, but the well pumps to a 1000 gal. cistern, which pumps to a pressure tank. I need to check the size of the plumbing coming off of the pressure tank.

I'm looking at one of the Fleck models. A 5600, 2500, or 7000 series based on the plumbing we have. Any advantage to Ecominder vs. STX? What should be included with the model? I'm probably going to install it myself. Might take me all day, but I've got the skills and after buying the house, we're broke. Any advice? Does the waste line have a pump or is it gravity fed? I ask because I think the softener will need to be installed below the main drain line.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (37)