SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pauster_gw

Building new pool in NJ

pauster
16 years ago

Hi All,

we are planning to build a pool this spring in Princeton, NJ. We have two young children so it is more of a fun pool, although we will (rarely) do laps.

Here is what he have planned I am just looking for advice and comments from you all !

We got quotes from 4 builders and we are in the last stage of making them comparable. 2 builders are national chains (guess who  ), and the other are two local builders. The range of pricing we got was a bit surprising, so was the range of expertise (should I say opinions for some of them ?) of the pool builders. Once we have the final quotes we'll be checking references ... the BBB (as in better business bureau, not bleach, borax and baking soda Very Happy) comes up pretty clean for all of them.

Here are the specs Â

Freeform gunite pool, 746 sq ft, 115 linear foot perimeter, 46 ft long, with a tanning ledge in the shallow end and umbrella sleeves in the tanning ledge (great idea by one of the builders).

Quartz (how do AnsylBrite and 3M compare) or smooth pebble finish

Upgraded plumbing  2 ½" direct plumbing for drains and returns (upgraded from standard 2")  this reduces the resistance (head per ft) by over 60% (!). I had to be assertive with the builders to get this into the quote.

2 Anti Entrapment main drains

2 or 3 returns

Solar heat  I am thinking of installing Helicoil myself. The conveniently available continuous roof surface is about 400 sq ft with with east-south-east orientation. Not ideal, but it still should help extend the pool season.

Intelliflo pump

450+ sq ft cartridge filter with Nature 2 cartridge in filter

No SWG because of the risk of issues with the natural stone coping/decking

6" Glass tile at the water line

Travertine coping (1 ft wide)

Travertine decking extra 3 ft around the pool and some seating areas, total of about 1000 -1300 sq ft

Since builder are asking $20-$28 per sq ft of travertine pavers installed, I am tempted to have the pool builder install the crushed stone base and code-required bonding grid and IÂll set the pavers. Gothicstone provided a quote for nice travertine paves and coping. Does anybody here know of masons who are more reasonable I their pricing  I am not looking forward to lugging around tons of stone but IÂll do it if it saves me thousands Â

Aquabot T2 - we have lots of huge deciduous trees around the back yard  hope it can handle it. I want to avoid a power hungry noisy booster pump for a Polaris 380 or similar

2 Jandy ColorLogic LED lights

Maybe a raised beam with a 6Â Jandy sheer decent and light. However, the additional charge for this is more than we are ready to pay. We are asking the builders to run the plumbing only so we can add the feature at a later time.

Automation  Goldline PS8 and PDA remote + solar heat control  I hear it can control the Intelliflo.

Solid pool cover (or MAYBE SmartMesh)

Any advice, options or recommendations for a really good pool builder in the area would be appreciated.

Thanks

Patrick

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor