SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Agony of 1 Paint Color for Whole House is Over. The Winner is...

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

BM's Gray Owl, but mixed by SW since that is the brand we are allowed to use.

Had a great talk with one of GW's own color experts yesterday. She really led me to this color.

I explained I thought we were going to go with SW Gray Matters. But I was a little afraid that the blue undertones I saw in some rooms might really overpower the whole space and make me feel as if my house was painted blue. And as always, the voice of reason reminded me that putting a color like that on all 4 walls would be making the hint even more blue.

I told her that the look of the white drywall mud spread on the drywall was really uplifting! My dh asked me if I was sure we didn't want to paint white. And guess what? This is exactly what the expert wanted to suggest to me. So, as she instructed, I looked at the off white colors in the 50's on the paint deck. I narrowed it down to Intense White and Gray Owl. I only picked up the sample of Intense White. The white trim will be whiter than the walls. But at the last hour before taking the sample boards to the house, I ran out and had a sample jar of the Gray Owl made up, just in case.

L-O-V-E

I am thrilled with this color. I'm meeting with the painter tomorrow. I'm showing him the color. And I've asked him if I have to use the paint trim color that was spec'd in my contract (in case the builder has a vat of it somewhere). He said I could pick any color, he didn't care. So, I will do that SW High Reflectance White. It is really a very bright white.

I also asked him if he could paint the inside of my front door semi gloss black. He hesitated and said "ok". Do you know how badly I wanted to say "And all the doors too?". That can be done later if I choose to do so.

While I'm talking about the front door, it's nothing spectacular. 36" door with sidelights that go 1/2 way down. Similar to my old house. In the old house, the door only was painted black, the sidelights were treated as trim and painted white. I think that is what we are doing this time too. Unless you have photos to sway me the other way. My old :*( front door: (not a great photo, but you get the idea)

And for the record, if any of my kids ask what color is the house, it is not Gray Owl--it's Off White. They weren't crazy about the gray before. And it really doesn't look too gray. But that's the last think I need, is the name of the color to have the word Gray in it!

Bee

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio