SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenna1_gw

Cat and dog questions

jenna1
15 years ago

I actually have two unrelated questions. The first one is for a friend.

She has a three dogs, all outdoor dogs, and has a problem with one of them. He's an unaltered 4 YO male Lab. He pees all over everything outside. She says that she can't open her back door cuz the smell is terrible. She's having him fixed after the holidays (please don't ask why she's waiting so long cuz I really don't know) and says that if that doesn't fix the problem she's getting rid of him.

Not ever having this problem with our dogs, I suggested she take a large sprayer and fill it with either bleach and water or ammonia and water and thoroughly drench her back patio and anything else he constantly pees on (like the dog houses, the side of the house, the patio, etc.). Let it sit then thoroughly rinse down. I know this won't solve the problem of the peeing dog but is there something else she can do to kill the smell?

The second question has to do with a semi-feral cat that we've pretty much adopted. He's about 10 months old now. Over the past months he's gotten very comfortable with my husband and I and we started bringing him inside for a couple hours a day. He got along with our dog but our other cat just can't seem to warm up to him. About a month ago we started keeping him in the house in our laundry room with a very comfortable bed, water, food, and toys. He discovered our large cat carrier and somehow got the door open and started sleeping in there all the time. We actually thought that was a good thing as we knew we would be taking him to the vet eventually in the carrier and felt he would feel more comfortable in it when the time came. Yeah....right!

Last Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, we took him to be neutered and to start his shots. Altho he didn't care to be closed in the carrier and absolutely hated the car ride, he went thru the surgery just fine. That's where the good part ended.

When my husband brought him home that afternoon he went absolutely insane. He was running full force into the walls and the floor to ceiling windows and sliders. He wanted out and he wanted out NOW! We managed to get our other cat and dog outside for their safety. Meanwhile he continued doing this and it scared both my husband and I alot. We couldn't find him until we heard all sorts of crashing going on in the kitchen. He had jumped up on the large ledge above the sink (we have a corner sink) and was ramming against the window. I grabbed him because there's (or was) alot of glass that he was knocking and kicking all over the place. I got bit three times, for which I'm not being treated for a very serious infection.

From there he went down the hall into our bedroom where he stayed under the bed until a little after midnight (hubby, dog, and other cat slept in one of the guest rooms that night). Then he came out, ate about a tablespoon of wet food, jumped on the bed with me and stayed there all night. We didn't let him out of our bedroom until the afternoon of the next day.

I called the vet right after he first went into the bedroom and told her what had happened. She said that sometimes cats have an adverse reaction to the anesthesia and it makes them hullucinate and evidently this is what was happening.

Blackie, this cat, hasn't been the same since. He's really skitterish, won't go near the cat carrier so have made up another bed for him in the laundry room, won't play with the toys (he LOVED them before and wouldn't go to bed without them), and doesn't really like being around us as much as he did before. He's almost constantly crying to go out in the evenings which is something that he didn't do before.

We've gone back about five steps with getting him comfortable in the house again. Other than that I honestly don't know what to do. I don't blame him at all and certainly wish the vet had told us this before we had him neutered. At least we could have been somewhat prepared in case it did happen (which it did). There is absolutely no way we're going to get him back to the vet for the rest of his shots in a couple weeks as he won't go near the carrier, much less let us put him in it. Nor do either of us think that he'll allow the vet to get near him for a shot.

Anything thoughts on what we can do, other than retry to get him to relax and trust us again? I haven't yet called the vet to see if she has any ideas as I've been trying to stay out of the hospital with this cat bite infection (my doc said he was admitting me today if it wasn't any better, which it finally is).

I apologize that this is so long.

Jenna

Comments (6)