SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Need Help In Deciding What Breed...

calpat
17 years ago

I'm a lady of 81 years and find that most of my friends are unable to travel for visits and Boy do I get lonely! DD has suggested I adopt an older dog for company and it sounds like a good idea, but I need to know the pros & cons of adopting an older dog. What breed, how old, potential health problems, etc. My income is a small annuity and SS, will I be able to afford vet/health care for this animal. My eye sight is not good, but I'm not completely blind, so I think a medium size pet would be appropriate(?) I have a lovely fenced in back yard, covered patio so exercising is not a problem. It gets bloody hot here in the summer, so it's inside for me with A/C which will be shared. I don't know what breed of animal, what age, I should be looking for

so any suggestions for or against my adopting would be most appreciated. Oh yes, I've been an animal owner before, so I do know about annual visits to vet, innoculations, licenses, etc. Where do I get other information? TIA Calpat

Comments (34)

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think your daughter's right!

Not to change the subject, but have you thought about a cat?
    Cats make excellent indoor pets.

I have both dogs & cats, &, although I love them equally, there are differences:

Dogs are pack animals & will look to you as the leader of their pack;
    they'll want to please you, to be by your side, etc.

But they have to go outside no matter what the weather & no matter how much you don't wanna get up!

Cats are more independent, & they don't have to go outside, but they need a litterbox, which does have to be cleaned.

Check with shelters & such in your area & find out what they offer in the way of adoption assistance for older adoptors.

The SPCA here, for instance, waives all fees for people past some age (maybe 65).

Also, find out about low-cost wellness clinics.

These are often affiliated with the shelter or with a humane organization, & the fees for routine health care are very reasonable.

I'd probably try for a pet about 5 or 6 years old:

I've taken in a couple of older dogs in the past, & they needed lots more veterinary care.

You might think about a short-haired pet (or one whose longer hair is easy for you to brush) of mixed parentage:
    that grooming eats up the dollars, & mixes are less likely to have health problems related to some of the pronounced traits of the purebreds, such as breathing problems that pugs sometimes suffer.

&, especially in an apartment, you'll want to look for a type that doesn't tend to bounce off the walls.

For instance, smooth coated fox terrier types are intelligent & alert, but they're a lot calmer than, say, Jack Russell terriers!

• jan2
    17 years ago

You have the whole internet at your disposal to look up the breed descriptions if you are seeking a pure-bred dog. Go to the American Kennel Club website and read up on different breeds. Some groups, like the terriers, are very active animals and I believe would not be for you. Long hair dogs require daily grooming so they don't mat. Many breeds require going to dog groomers every 5-8 weeks for cuts. This can be costly in some areas. When you find the breed you want, again through the AKC you can find the parent club for that breed and breeder/rescue folks. Many good breeders place older animals in loving homes. Age wise, it would be best to find a dog 2 years or older so they are past their puppyhood. Never one to push a particular breed, I can speak with experience in that my whole life has been with breeding and showing pure-bred dogs and I have first hand experience with many different breeds and breeders. I can honestly say that French Bulldogs are wonderful, loving animals. Downside are their pushed in faces so they don't do well in heat. There are many other breeds that would suit your needs. You have to decide which one you want and go from there.

Jan

• Related Discussions

Flooring help - Need help deciding what type of floor for 1st floor.

Q

Comments (6)
    You have: WARM travertine tile on the first floor. You have DARK warm wood cabinets. You have WARM countertops. The LAST thing you want sitting next to that BEAUTIFUL WARM coloured stone is gray. No gray. Nothing in your home says "I need gray to make it perfect". Nothing. Your furniture will change. Your area rugs will change. Your wall colours will change. They will all change inside of 15 years. But your PERMANENT stone or tile floors will STAY. If you must use a tile next to stone, I suggest working in the same tones. You can go darker or you can go lighter but stay inside the SAME TONES as the travertine. If you REALLY MUST HAVE GRAY - then rip out the travertine and start again. Gray and peach stone/tile do not like to play nicely together. It screams out, "I didn't want to pay to do it properly." I would recommend finding MORE travertine in a different sized tile and add it in at an angle (diagonal install). You can find a stone that is either a little darker or a little lighter. You can then add a decorative boarder to the rooms where you are installing it so that it looks like you did it on purpose. This is a great way to add more of the high-end stone to a space that already has high-end stone. But please do not add gray in with peach. They just don't like each other. Flooring snobs, like myself can see it right away. We KNOW when something has been done piece meal. We also know when someone did the piece meal NICELY vs. someone who did it without a thought to the overall look of the floor. Compliment the stone you are keeping. Let your area rugs turn the space gray. That trend is quickly dying. It makes sense to throw out a rug in 3 years. It doesn't make sense to rip out a tile floor in 3 years.
    ...See More

Need Help Deciding What To Do With Outside Of My House

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate the feedback and since it was unanimous, i decide to go with stucco. i do plan to have plants around the house but everything will still be visible during fall and winter. If i can have a little more of everyone time, which color should i have the stocco, should i match the brick? Again thank you everyone for your help
    ...See More

I need help deciding what stain color would look best on the deck.

Q

Comments (3)
    I would have left the entire deck light and natural, let it complement the mortar and fit with the natural outdoor environment, but since you have already stained the top rail you may be stuck with staining the entire deck. I would start with stripping the stain from the top rail and see how it impacted the color. Then I would re-stain with something that has a more natural feel, (Walnut, Chestnut)
    ...See More

need help deciding what size porch

Q

Comments (2)
    Did you forget to post the photo?
    ...See More
  • Nancy in Mich
    17 years ago

Hi Calpat,
    Yes, a dog may be a great companion for you. Some adoption sites have special programs for seniors who are adopting senior dogs. The Brittany site below is one. They have six senior Brittanys in California up for adoption. The nice thing about adopting a dog from a breed rescue like this is that if you can't keep the dog, sometime in the future, they will help with the placement.

Pros of older dogs would include the calm demeanor and desire to stay close to home. I have also read that older dogs seem to appreciate their warm (or cool, in some cases!) homes and regular food. As for cons, you are more likely to see the common aging problems like stress incontinence or arthritis, but this is certainly not a given. Cancer is more likely as we age, and I suppose that other illnesses are, as well. Is your DD able to help with vet visits, if needed? I am not certain that an older dog would be more expensive, necessarily. Young dogs become ill, too, and tend to get into things, so may have more accidents or escapes.

As for breeds, think about what you would NOT like in a dog. Drool? Shedding fur? Then look at this site and see what might work for you.
    Dog Breed Characteristics
    Once you have a few possibilities, go to Yahoo or Google and do a search on that breed's name with "Rescue" after it. You can find the organizations that specialize in rescuing the dogs that are of that breed or mixes of that breed.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Brittany Rescue Senior Companions

• bbaird
    17 years ago

If you get an older dog (say 8 or 9 years plus) I would think that most dogs that age would be thrilled to be rescued from a shelter and would cherish staying indoors with you most of the time. Obviously, the older the dog, the less active (generally speaking).

I adopted a relatively young cat (2 yrs), and, she has had plenty of medical problems. My point is, you can't predict what vet bills will arise as life is unpredictable. My young cat has cost me more than many older cats have cost other people. It's always a gamble.

An older dog may have/develop the same medical problems that older people get--kidney problems, incontinence, diabetes, cancer, arthritis, cataracts, hearing loss, etc. Pretty much, if you can get it, they can get it.

Unlike others, I'm NOT trying to dissuade you. I think that an older dog is a great idea. You both can empathize.

If I were you, I'd go to a reputable shelter and/or vet near you and see who needs a good home. Tell them your concerns and needs. Some shelter near you is bound to have a great older dog who just wants a nice warm/cool (depending on the weather) home and a loving human.

(Personally, I would stay away from pitbulls and rotweillers.) A purebreed is not necessarily what you need. There are plenty of great purebreds and mutts in need of a loving home. Go check out the shelter and see WHO chooses YOU.

• bbaird
    17 years ago

Apologies to the previous posters. I read your posts very quickly, then posted my own, then read yours more slowly.

Didn't mean to imply that anyone was advising against adopting an older animal.

• groomingal
    17 years ago

I think going to a shelter would be a great idea, our has a placement program. They will help identify what will be most compatible with you, they may not be purebred but need a loving home just as much.

bbaird- why would you advise against pits or rotties? I work in a clinic and a couple in their 60's just bought a pit about 6 months ago. She is very well mannered, and very affectionate. I myself have a 5 month old rottie, he is very laid back and gentle. There are many other breeds I would not recommend before disuading her of these.

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

You are contemplating the same thing my mother has done for many years. She volunteered and served on the board of her local humane society for a very long time. As her age advanced, she decided she would only adopt animals who she would be likely to outlive (she doesn't want to have to worry about what will happen to her companions after she passes, in spite of the fact that my siblings and I have already assured her that we will take them into our own homes). This means that the older Mom has gotten, the older her adoptees have gotten.

I, too, have always had geriatric animals in my home. I enjoy their peaceful demeanors, easy behavior, and generally undemanding ways. The time and energy you might save in terms of reduced exercise requirements for an older dog, however, might be spent cleaning up after incontinence problems, instead. And the expense of training classes and replacing items that may be destroyed by younger animals might be spent in providing additional veterinary care for an aged animal.

There are advantages and disadvantages to any age and/or breed of dog. Here are some issues for you to consider (some of which have already been mentioned but are worth mentioning again):

1) Breed - Avoid young or middle aged animals of the more active groups like terriers and herders. They will be likely to require considerable exercise to keep them both physically and mentally stimulated and out of trouble.

2) Size - Avoid geriatric, large dogs. They often have arthritic hips and leg joints and require assistance getting up from a lying down position and when negotiating stairs. Also if and when they become incontinent, the messes they create are larger to clean up.

Toy breeds are easier to assist if they become arthritic, but they also tend to have a lot more housebreaking issues than medium sized dogs.

3) Grooming - Unless you want to groom your dog daily, avoid long-haired breeds. As mentioned, they can be quite costly to have professionally groomed.

4) Age - If you are looking for a quiet companion who will not be overly demanding or behaviorally challenging, go for the older animal. If you want an animal who will inspire you to become more physically active yourself and for whom you can make suitable arrangements in case (s)he should outlive you, adopt a middle-aged animal.

5) Special needs - Another very, very rewarding option is to adopt a special needs companion. For example, a dog with an amputated limb or a dog who does not get along with other animals may be doomed to death row unless a compassionate and understanding home can be found. A dog doesn't have to be perfect to make the perfect companion for you.

Older animals are an absolute joy, but they can also be very worrisome. At some point, all older animals suffer declining (and sometimes very expensive) health issues, and the older the animal, the sooner they will leave you. It's up to you to decide who best suits your needs, and whose needs you can best meet.

Laurie

• labmomma
    17 years ago

I think any dog that suits you over the age of 2 or 3 would be good. All dogs pretty much get that puppy stage out by 2 or 3. They usually have most house manners down by that time as well.

I am not opposed to the older animals, I just see many more vet bills associated with the older dogs. From experience, once a dog reaches 6 or 7 years old, they start having problems that need more than the once a year well visit. It can be costly to say the least.

I like midsize to large dogs. You will have to evaluate your capability to get the dog into your car, be able to handle the dog on a leash, etc.

We are a family of retriever lovers. My MIL is 70 and has a golden who is 11 and having many health problems. She has Cushings and needs to do chemotherapy. My parents in their 70s have 2 labradors, ages 5 and 1. The youngest has been a handful. The 5 year old is wonderful. I too have a 5 year old male labrador who is the most loving companion I could ask for. He is very calm and affectionate. I also have two other labs, one is female, 12 yrs. with a boatload of medical issues to the tune of 16 pills per day. I also have another male 3 yr. old, who is a lovey boy as well.

Dogs tend to get a little rambunctious or rowdy in numbers. If you are getting a solo dog, you should have no problems with that.

Call your DD vet, your old vet, vets in your area and get the phone numbers for rescue groups in your area for the breed you decide on. I have a friend who runs a golden rescue and she's had many great dogs.

Whichever breed or mix you choose, I know you will enjoy having the companionship of a dog. There's nothing like it.

I would stay away from the really large dogs, Great Danes, St. Bernards, rotties can easily weigh 150 lbs. I think that might be a little too much dog.

Best of luck to you and post your progress!

• mazer415
    17 years ago

I am also on a limited income. If money is a monthly concern to you, you will need to research insurance for your pet - before you ever get one. Find out if they cover older dogs newly adopted.
    Next consider this - you should probably not get a dog under 35 pounds, even though they make better lap dogs, they are trip hazards and I would hate to hear you went down because fuzzy got under foot.
    Considering the breed is a good idea, but you might want to consider breeds that are not prone to cancer or dont live as long, like Leonbergers, or Saint Bernards - Gentle Giants but they usually only live about 10 years or so.
    Make certain DD or someone else can step in if anything happens to you and you have to have an extended hospital stay. This means the person who steps in, should spend a good amount of time with the dog so the dog does not face too much trauma if you were to need surgery for some reason. My suggestion, hands down Greyhound. Fastest couch potatoes in the world. Content to lay on the couch and hang out most of the day, not so small you could trip, a loving dog you can cuddle and who would appreciate a backyard to be in on a regular basis instead of having 30 minute walks.
    Good luck in whatever you get, please post and let us all know what you decide.

• bbaird
    17 years ago

"I think any dog that suits you over the age of 2 or 3 would be good. All dogs pretty much get that puppy stage out by 2 or 3. They usually have most house manners down by that time as well.
    I am not opposed to the older animals, I just see many more vet bills associated with the older dogs. From experience, once a dog reaches 6 or 7 years old, they start having problems that need more than the once a year well visit. It can be costly to say the least."

Huh?
    Sorry, but, that makes no sense if you're on a budget. The young animal will also get old, eventually. You'll not only incur the expense of an aged animal, but, all the prior years of vet bills and food, etc. Getting a young dog doesn't preclude the ultimate expenses of an old dog.

• annzgw
    17 years ago

What part of N.Calif are you located? I ask because I used to volunteer with Tony LaRussa's Arf and they're located in Walnut Creek. If you're not close to them, check out other reputable shelters since many of them are great at pairing up pets with senior citizens. There are many pets up for adoption whose previous home was with a senior citizen so it'd be nice if you could find one of those.

My Mother is 87 and she adopted a cat last year. It took a few months for them to learn each others personality but she now spoils that cat rotten.............and the cat is great company in the evenings.

A dog breed I would highly recommend is a minature poodle or poodle-cross. The miniatures weigh in about 25 lbs and are a nice size without worry of them getting underfoot. They don't shed, are highly intelligent, easily trained, and contrary to what most people think.........all Poodles are NOT yappers.

But...........as others have mentioned, the adoption of an older dog may also bring with it more vet expenses due to health problems. When you research the shelters, ask them about their policy of taking the dog back if your health should ever become an issue. A good shelter will take their adoptees back without hesitation.

• emma12
    17 years ago

Good for you in wanting a pet. I tried to get my mother who was widowed at 68 to adopt a cat or dog, but she never did, and she lived till 91. Her question was what if??I go on vacation, I get sick or I die?? You can't live life like that. Like another poster, I also thought of a cat. They are wonderful companions and don't need excercised. In fact they should be kept indoors. You'll only need to do litter box. In a dog, I go along with Mazer and suggest a greyhound. The youngest they usually are is two, and they can come off the track as old as 5. They are wonderful grateful couch potatoes, and it's perfect you have a fenced in yard which is required if you adopt. I wouldn't get a very old animal since sadly dogs don't live usually real long lives. My grey died at 9. Cats on the other hand can live till 20 or more. I have a soon to be 18 year old and had one live to 21, so I'd get an older cat if I was choosing a cat..Good luck to you.

• dobesrule
    17 years ago

Try to contact some rescue groups that foster the dogs in their volunteers homes as oposed to a dog that's in an animal shelter type environment. These dogs have been living in home situations and the foster parent can tell you more about what the pets behavior and personalities are like. While Dobermans are the perfect dogs (lol) I think I might look at a retired Greyhound if I were in your shoes. The ones I've had have been very relaxed, easy-going dogs. Like to hang out with you but since they are sprinters they really don't need huge amounts of exercise like some other dogs do or like a lot of people think they might. A good romp in your yard a couple times a day will probably keep them pretty content. The Greyhound folks refer to them as 35 mph couch potatos.

Lisa

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Mazer wrote: "My suggestion, hands down Greyhound. a loving dog you can cuddle and who would appreciate a backyard to be in on a regular basis instead of having 30 minute walks. "

This is a serious misconception. Greyhounds need an hour of exercise a day, and popping them out in the back yard will not do it. That's a recipe for behavioral problems. Greys need regular leash walking, plus backyard time. If the poster is willing to walk the dog, I agree a grey would be a good fit as they are very calm dogs indoors. But they need exercise to stay mentally happy and physically fit. I have a nearly 12 year old grey who still needs his 1 hour a day of walking and always will.

Please do consider a kitty or maybe two kitties. They don't need walking and are wonderful and entertaining companions.

• spiritual_gardner
    17 years ago

I think you should do a "good" and "bad" list. Under the good category, list all of the good things about having a dog. Under the bad, list all of the bad. If you think you have what it takes to keep up with all of the issues, then I would go for it.

Older dogs are wonderful pets. They CAN however, be a lot of work. I'm not saying that this could happen to you, but with an older dog, there is always a chance.

I had an older dog that I raised form a pup. For the last 4 years of her life (she lived to be 14), I had to cook for her because of medication she required, it upset her stomach, and she didn't always want to eat her regular food. This was just one of many things I did to keep her going. At 51 years I found it lots to keep up with, properly.

You also mentioned your income. You may be shocked at how much money it takes to care properly for a dog. I would call 2-3 veterinarians, tell them your situation, and ask them how much it would cost for an initial physical, shots, and pills. Also ask about fees for office visits. You may also qualify for low cost veterinarian service. Inquire about this when you are looking for a dog.

Also, call a groomer or two or three and ask about their fees. Since you don't have your dog yet, ask what they charge for a small, mid-sized and large dog.

You mentioned your back yard. This is a wonderful thing for a dog. They do however need to be walked to stir things up unless trained to eliminate on command. Dogs also love to walk. It gives them something to look forward to and keeps them from getting board and into mischief. Call a walker and ask what they would charge.

Good luck! I'm sure that there are numerous dogs out there that would love to have you as a master. Just be sure that you are being fair not only to yourself but also to the dog.

SG

• share_oh
    17 years ago

I like the idea of adopting a dog that has been in foster care as opposed to a shelter for you - they will have much more information on the dog's temperament and needs.

Our shelter also has a seniors adopt senior dogs for free, with senior status being given to dogs 5 years or older.

Two of my 5 dogs are ages 9 & 12 and haven't had any extreme health problems. The 12 year old is on thyroid meds and those are cheap. They are both mixed breeds as well.

Please let us know what you end up doing. Good luck in your search for a new companion. :)
    Sher

• quirkyquercus
    17 years ago

What I'm learning about dogs is that all dog breeds need a daily walk. Even little chiwawuz. (Figure if I'm going to misspell the word, I might as well do it right!)
    Dogs can get cabin fever and instinctually they're pregrogrammed to go on walks being that's what dogs in the wild do, they travel. Seeing as how you're on the internet asking questions, you're not the average 81 year old.... many people even younger than that refuse to even use a computer. Since you already know that owning a dog is a big responsibility and the dog has needs, the next step is to hit a few sites that talk about dog breeds (www.yourpurebredpuppy.com is a good one, just click on reviews) then if you adopt, you want to find out if the potential dog is very active or not. Just because a breed is said not to require a lot of excercise the dog you are looking at in particular may be a more active dog. And for all we know an active dog may be what you're looking for.
    Once you have some potential breeds in mind you can ask people who own those breeds what level of excercise and mental stimulation they require.
    I think you could find a way to make a lot of breeds work but you have to be willing to put in the time. And it is a lot of time. Especially with rescues. You may get extremely lucky or you may end up with a lot of behaviors or fears to work on.

• dobesrule
    17 years ago

Cynthia, ideally all dogs will get an hour or more of exercise a day but but some breeds or individuals can be quite happy without it. All the hounds we have had have been quit happy with a turn out a few times a day. The last one's daily exercise consisted of running around the pasture, about 2 1/2 acres, once a day and then following around as I worked in the yard a few times a day. She prefered to spend about 80% of her time on the couch. Actually all three of them acted pretty much the same. For anyone with limited space or ability to exercise a dog they are going to be much more successful with a hound that they would with a breed that is developed to be much more active, like herding dogs or terrers. Lack of attention and time spent with a dog to me is a giant factor in whether a dog developes behavior problems

Lisa

• spiritual_gardner
    17 years ago

I agree with Lisa, hounds are wonderful pets that would work really well in your situation.

You could start your search by going to Google, type in dog rescue leagues, and then your area. The sites are easy to follow and will give you an idea of what is out there.

Calpat, I think getting a dog is a wonderful thing for you! Please keep us posted about your progress!

Good luck!

SG

• labmomma
    17 years ago

bbaird writes:
    Huh?
    Sorry, but, that makes no sense if you're on a budget. The young animal will also get old, eventually. You'll not only incur the expense of an aged animal, but, all the prior years of vet bills and food, etc. Getting a young dog doesn't preclude the ultimate expenses of an old dog.

Yes, it does make sense since the potential owner would experience some very good health years. Also, pet insurance is much cheaper the younger the dog. Of course all pets get older (with the grace of God). I never said it precluded expenses, just indicated that the older you go, the more likely (I think all vets would concur) that the medical costs increase.

My three labs don't get formal daily exercise. They are very well behaved and don't have any issues at all. They get lots of love and attention, but by the time we get home from work it is dark and a little difficult to throw the frisbee.

I think many people with jobs do not have the luxury of giving their dogs an hour of exercise time during the week. Weekends provide an opportunity for more exercise, but even then, alot of people do the errands they can't do during the week because of work. I guess I chose the right breed for me since a couple of runs chasing one another around the yard seems to be enough.

Old gal gets one walk a day - down to the mailbox. I only take her to keep her from getting too stiff from her arthritis. She usually makes me wonder why I took her when she wanders off into the woods. That usually means that I have to find my way through to get her untangled or help her get her back end up and going again. LOL

For my family and lifestyle, the labrador is an ideal dog. Now if I could find one that didn't shed;-).

• mazer415
    17 years ago

I would like to reply to cynthia's misunderstanding/misreading of my posting. I put down "on a regular basis" because greayhounds often are content with backyard antics, playtime and romping and are not so bored with this routine. They ar more content with a sedentary lifestyle unlike so many other breeds. "A regular basis" probably should have been a daily basis. My friend owns a number of greayhound rescues. They are content to stay in the house and play in the backyard most of the time. They get outside leash time once or twice a week but not much more than that because they live on a hillshide and the walks are hard to complete. Their neighbors have an aussie, which MUST be taken to the park everyday for a good run and socialization or the dog starts getting out of hand in 3 days. Greyhounds are likely to behave this way, being more content with what they have.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Lisa & Mazer, I see way too many unhealthy, overweight greyhounds from lack of exercise. I've taken many many returned dogs for behavior issues, and have fostered more than 20 greyhounds. I also work with adopters on behavioral issues. Yes, greyhounds will become sedentary more willingly than many other breeds, they're easy going dogs and will put up with a lot of owner neglect. In fact their easy attitudes probably permits owners to skip the exercise more often than they should. That's not a reason to recommend them on the basis of 'not needing much exercise'. Just like people, some animals avoid exercise if they can, but good owners ensure their pets get what they need to be mentally and physically healthy.

Two and a half acres is a lot more than the average suburban back yard, and it's unlikly that the original poster has a FENCED 2 acre yard. Many greys won't run at all unless they have something to chase. Either another hound or squirrels, rabbits or balls/toys. Because I deal with people regularly who try to skip the excercise, I'm probably over sensitive of this issue. But I maintain that a greyhound not being properly exercised is not as happy and healthy as he/she would be with daily walks. The mental stimulataion is as important as the physical. And I certainly would not recommend the breed on the basis of not having to excerise regularly. No one should adopt a dog and not plan on daily walks. Cats or birds will work much better for that type of adopter.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

One of my dogs will not exercise unless she has company. And that usually means I have to take her for a long walk. (about 2 miles) But we walk in rural areas with no houses so she is not leashed. She runs a lot but more or less stays in sight of me.
    Now, we have several acres that she can run around in but she won't at all unless I'm working in the yard or such.
    So I would carefully consider how much you will be able to exercise a dog. I'm sure there are plenty of older dogs that would be perfect for you if you look around.

• dobesrule
    17 years ago

Actually I'm amazed that you have seen so many fat Greyhounds. One of our hounds was a volunteer with a therapy dog group that was an all Greyhound group and we used to do quite a few meet the breed kind of events with her, they are a fairly popular breed around here, and I can only remember seeing one fat one. I also don't mean to imply they don't need any exercise but I do believe they need far less that a lot of breeds do and in circumstances where time or physical ability is limited they are a much better choice. Personally I think Chows are a great breed with moderate to low exercise requirments too but they are not a breed I recommend very often if at all because of the intense grooming needed and because they can be territorial.

Lisa

• the_adams
    17 years ago

I haven't read all the posts so I am sorry if I am repeating. No matter the age I would stay away from Jack Russels and Border Collies. They tend NOT to mellow out with age.

A GREAT website is Dog Breed Info .com I have linked to a list of breeds by alphabetical order.

This site has a very comprehensive list of breeds. Each breed info page generally lists a description of the breed, temperament, size, health problems, life expectancy, exercise needs, history, pictures, etc.

Good Luck & let us know what you end up getting

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Breed Info Website

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I truly think a cat is a better option than a dog but if you are a dog person, I think the individual dog's personality may be more important than the breed with some exceptions.

There are often cats in shelters whose elderly owners have passed away. Who are hard to place because they aren't used to kids, dogs or more active households. There may be dogs in the same situation.

Breed traits aren't 100% across the board but they are a good place to start.

Talk to local shelters, rescue groups and vets about what you can offer and what you can't and let them help you find a specific dog that is well suited.

Smaller dogs eat less, so that is a cost consideration.

• going_bonkers
    17 years ago

Here is a link that list many top choices for seinors.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/top-dog-breeds-for-seniors/page1.aspx

I would say that if your eyesight is "not perfect" you may want to take some pet training classes so you can teach your pet to not "get underfoot" no matter what age or breed you decide on. Although with your fenced back yard Id say a smaller dog could gain plenty of exercise with a good game of fetch! Also they are alot less clean up! They are also great lap pets and love attention. I would think a larger dog might possibly be a hazard on leash if it gives you a unexpected pull. (my mom broke her arm when she fell when walking her dog from this) But my mom lives alone and wouldnt know what to do with out her baby, Baby loves play time but she is also there just to sit and watch TV with mom. I tease her that baby gets treated better than her human kids!

• mazer415
    17 years ago

I disagree with the above posting about greyhounds not runing unless they have something to chase. I have worked with greyhounds as well, and obviously have experienced different behaviors than what you have posted. My friends who own a greayhound and a Shiba Inu often have trouble getting the shiba to play more than the greyhound, who is always willing to run around and play. And my friends dont have anywhere close to 2 acres. I am always in favor of walking dogs, and running them everyday. However if I take into consideration each case as it comes by, someone elderly might not be able to run or walk a dog everyday due to health concerns. If someone is wanting a dog and is elderly, I am going to consider a trip hazard - so no dogs under 30 pounds and Im going to consider the ableness of the poster, is it possible to walk to the dog everyday or is it possible to have a rewarding playtime in the backyard - if the backyard is big enough and the potential owner is unable to take the dog for walks, Im inclined to say a greyhound is the best breed for this type of situation. I have taken my friend teacup Chihuahua on 5 mile off road hikes because the dog was suffering form being in the backyard on a daily basis, and was becoming more and more assertive. A greyhound is not likely to rip up the house or start becomeing more assertive because they are more limited in their environment. Granted, everydog should get as much socialization and playtime outside the home as possible. And nothing in life is black and white. Had the poster been someone younger, I would have probably not suggested the greyhound. But I try and take everything into consideration. Both for the dog and for the owner.

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Mazer, I said 'many' greyhounds won't run unless they have something to chase, not 'all.' One of the most frequent concerns from adopters is that their new dog doesn't run. It usually takes another dog to get them to run just for fun. Although initally I thought a grey might be good in this situation, the more I think about it, the more concerns I have. Dogs off the track, or even in a home for 6 months will still lunge after squirrels or rabbits on walks. I am in great shape and sometimes am caught off guard by the strength of these guys. One adopter returned her grey because she was injured several times on walks, and she was only in her late 50s. Yes of course they can be trained not to react, but these are big strong sighthounds and it takes time. It will be interesting to see what the original poster decides.

I think the advantage of small dogs is that they are physically easier to control if needed. What about a bassett hound? That's a nice medium sized dog that needs just moderate exercise.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    17 years ago

My mom, who is 76, is very thankful these days that her dog is a small breed. She can bathe him in the sink, pick him up to carry, brush him out quickly, and he can nap on the couch beside her. The downside... he's a pekingese and thinks HE owns HER. :)

• groomingal
    17 years ago

What about a japanese chin?
    Small, minimal grooming, lapdog?

• cindyb_va
    17 years ago

I think adopting an older dog is a splendid idea. My first thought for your ideal breed is a 6+ year old border terrier. These are very sweet dogs and I think are very good for seniors. Even though they are terriers, they are nothing like fox or parson's terriers, with respect to energy levels.

I included a link for a site to help in selecting a breed. Hope this helps!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Breed Selector

• the_adams
    17 years ago

Smaller dogs have a tendancy to get under foot more then medium - larger dogs. This could be a concern with your eyesight and age.

Also, you may want to consider adopting a dog thats coat is contrasting colors to those in your home. If you have dark carpet, go for a light colored dog, etc. You can also use a bright/reflective collar to help you see them.

Labradors are one of the most popular pets in our country. With every breed there is a standard, and within that breed there are always ones who break that standard!

My stepfather has been blind most his life and I have been very active in dealing with his seeing eye dogs (all labs). It is true that generally speaking Labs can get bored and when left alone can become destructive. I have seen this behavior from many Labs in many different home situations over the years.

Actually, a Lab might be a good choice for you since you are probably home a great deal of the time. A daily walk may not be necassary, although this is ideal for every dog, especially older ones. Walks help keep their heart strong not to mention their joints. And of course it helps to keep the weight down that as a breed standard they are prone to gaining.

Yet, there are somethings that might be a concern with the Lab. Their necks are very large & strong, if he/she has not been taught not to pull on the leash this could be a big problem.

There are two types of Labs, American & English. The English lines tend to be more calmer & settle down quicker. When dealing with rescue it may be difficult to find out which line a dog is from, but it never hurts to ask. Especially if you are dealing with a breed specific rescue.

Another good choice may be a Golden Retriver. They are less dominate and independate then Lab. The Golden is known to have the same gentle disposition of the Lab, but has less of that independant streak. Goldens are only truly happy when they are around people and are generally friendly with every one as their nature. Whereas if a Lab was not socialized as a pup he/she may be skittish around strangers. Goldens love to please their masters and are easy to train.

Both are prone to Hip Dysplasia & eye defects. The Lab is also prone to Elbow Dysplasia and PRA. The Golden is also prone to Von Willebrands Disease and skin allergies that usually require vet care.

Again, what I have wrote here is purely the generaly accepted breed standard. There are always blood lines within a breed that break the mold, for better or worse.

Good Luck & Happy New Year!

• mazer415
    17 years ago

Cynthia, yeah I agree with you about the chaasing squirrels thing, since greyhounds are sight hounds. However you can get greyhounds which have not been on the track. And greayhounds like other dogs can be trained not to pull on the leash when they see a small animal. Huskies are notorious for this behavior as well. All in all though I still think a greyhound is the best bet in this situation. They are less likely to run away, less likely to become destructive, less likely to be a trip hazard, less likely to be a barking nuisance. However it is up to the poster, she will find a dog she loves and that will be it. My information is given only as a suggestion.