SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softball_80

Not being morbid; you have to do it some time...

softball_80
14 years ago

Have you pre-written an obituary, or words you might have to say at an ailing loved one's funeral?

My Mom died in 2002. My youngest brother got up at the front of the church and gave a moving speech for about 3-4 minutes. Dad is in a nursing home and fading rapidly. I know that this sad duty will be on my shoulders when the end mercifully comes. I didn't want to get tongue-tied at that time so I wrote one ahead of time. Not all at once; I just put together various thoughts that came to me over a period of 6-8 months, edited them down and put them in order. It too is no more than 3-4 minutes in length, just right with a few anecdotes and memories without being too maudlin, at least that was my intent.

I have also written my own obit as I'd like it to be printed when my time's up. I can't believe the length of some I've seen in the newspaper - naming every child, grand and great grandchild, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. etc. An these were for ordinary people, not finders of cures for disease or humanitarians. Keep it short & sweet, I say. I sealed a copy in a envelope and put it in our home safe; DW knows about it. I don't intend to change it unless something earth shattering happens between now and the inevitable.

So, do you think I'm off base?

Comments (22)