SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

Need some advice--how do you know when it's 'time'?

tracey_b
15 years ago

My almost 21-yr-old CRF kitty, Casey, was doing SO well. We did 3+ weeks of Baytril and finally eliminated her UTI. Her frequent urination never did get better, but well...we were living with it. She was acting pretty much like the old Casey.... And, I finally had a handle on the hydration, which we've done every other day.

Yesterday she had a little trouble with a BM that turned to diarrhea, and she threw up at the same time in the litter box. Sometimes the two go hand-in-hand and she feels badly for the day. This time, she threw up another time or two that afternoon and would pee before she got to the litter box. I gave her a portable box near her bed which she used.

Today, she hasn't eaten (not since the event yesterday, noonish), but has had some water when I bring it to her. I hydrated her, too. And now, she's just peeing where she lays.

This is similar to a pancreatitis event she had 3 years ago which had me thinking we were losing her then--it lasted 4-5 days. This time, however, she's already an older, weaker kitty starting out.

My question is this......how long should I give her to recover without putting her through too much of this? I'm not taking her to the vet just for this....after all, given her age and health, I don't know that anything could be done (nothing was done for the last pancreatitis except to say she needed Pepcid). Any trip would stress her, and I just want her to be left alone if at all possible. Do you ever just let Nature take its course, or do you step in and hasten it along? Obviously, she can't go on long like this--weak and w/out food, and I never would let her go a week in this state......but when???

I've not ever been through this before.......either the dying of a pet or the decision to end it. How do you do the right thing and not second-guess yourself?

Another consideration that I worry is coloring my thoughts is that we are in the process of getting the house ready to sell (I've tried to keep my stress level down for her sake) because hubby has taken a new position which will relocate us from IL to NC....a Looooong move. That could be as soon as 1 1/2 months from now (hubby's already there, working). Even if she got better from this current event, what about the move throwing her into another problem? Do I let that happen, or do I just take it into my own hands then and end it?

I hate being so anxious and confused.....and all alone now to deal with it.

Thank you for any relief and/or insight you can offer.

Tracey

Comments (9)