SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

How do you know when it's 'time'?

doucanoe
12 years ago

Sure don't want to bring anyone down, but I just don't know what to do.

My 13 year old German Shepherd is declining, and rapidly.

He has severe arthritis in his knees, has been on Rimadyl for a long time. And for a long time it worked well. Over the last several months he has so much difficulty getting up, and now I would say at least 75% of the time we have to go lift his back end so he can get up. We built him a ramp so he can get down the four front stairs, but recently he falls when he gets to the bottom. He poops while he walks because it is so painful/dificult for him to squat.

He has always had a good appetite, but over the past week he refuses to get up to eat. We got thim to eat last night but he had gone at lest 30 hours w/o eating before that.

He has been having poo accidents, both in the house and on the porch. He doesn't run or play anymore, pretty much just lays around and sleeps.

He has been licking/chewing on his legs. Not to the point of hot spots, but to the point of some irritated skin. I have been applying a cortisone cream to the sensitive areas, that helps a bit.

On the flip side, he is still loving, sweet, and looks forward to his nightly cuddles.

I know I am going to have to make the dreaded "decision", but when will I know he has had enough. I wish he could tell me.....

Thanks,

Linda

Comments (12)