SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

How do you know when it's time?

estreya
16 years ago

My cat saw another vet yesterday, a different one than she'd seen before. It's a neurological problem, she said, and we can do what we can to make her comfortable, but the truth is, she's 17, and ...

The discussion went on from there and the short of it is that i have a decision to make, and i'm having a really hard time sorting out my feelings.

I've kind of been "in denial" about her condition. It's been getting progressively worse over the course of several months, but i just haven't been connecting the dots.

I was shocked to learn she's lost weight, because i've been giving her two cans of quality food a day. But i also realized that the dry food, which i used to have to refill every other day, has pretty much remained untouched for the past several weeks. So she really hasn't been eating the way she used to. And she's been vomiting more frequently. Thus, the weight loss. She's 7.6 pounds, i think the vet said.

And there have been days when there would be nothing at all in the litter box, and i realized how odd it is for me to be delighted to have pee or poop to scoop. I've been taking her little "accidents" as a normal part of aging, and just did my best to clean up after her. But now she's totally incontinent, seems to have lost the nerve function that tells her it's time to go to her litter box. Her bottom is wet all the time.

And of course there's the lameness. It breaks my heart to watch her hobble along, but hobble she does, and although it looks awkward, she doesn't seem to be pained by it.

And the dilated eye. But she can see, so how bad is that really ...

There are a few more issues here and there, but you kind of get the point. And i just can't figure out what to do. Because she's still capable of sitting in the sun and enjoying the light. She'll still purr when i pet her and buck my head with her own. So i don't know what to do ...

Is it too soon? Is it irrisponsible to let her get worse? Must she be in constant pain for that decision to be justified?

And moreover, what is motivating ME? Am i frustrated with having to clean up after her messes? Am i just frustred to smell urine everywhere, unable as i am to track every spot where she's sat and leaked? And to have to throw away blankets? Am i considering putting her to sleep for housekeeping reasons?

Or because it hurts ME to see her hobble as she does while she's really fine with it?

I just don't know what to do you guys. My husband and i had a big fight about it last night, because i think neither of us can deal with the realities of this ... or are the realities not as bad as we think?

How do we know what to do? I don't know how to calibrate the facts, much less sort out the emotions. I'm at a total loss ...

Comments (13)