SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Dog at the vet again - serious. (long)

caflowerluver
17 years ago

Almost one year ago exactly -Jan 5, 2006

Elvira, my mini dachshund, went in for a routine physical and to have her teeth cleaned. She is one of those dogs that is prone to lots of plaque buildup and gum disease. When they were doing the cleaning, they discovered three growths on the back palate of her mouth. The vet said she had never seen anything like that before. So they did a biopsy of the tumors. They put her on Antirobe for a week because she bled alot when they did the biopsy.

One week later the vet called and gave me the results of the biopsy. It wasn't good. Elvira has what is called Mast Cell Tumour. The vet wants to do a wait and see approach, so I am suppose to bring her in every 2 weeks to see if it grows or not for the next month or two. If it looks like it is growing then she will refer me on to a veterinary oncologist.

Well I went every 2 weeks for a couple of months, then every month, then 3 months. The tumors or lesions did not changed but remained the same. So they didn't do anything. It is a very difficult place to operate so they are reluctant to do so.

Today - Dec. 4, 2006

I have taken her in 3 times, every 2 weeks, because of a hacking honking kind of sound she makes and the fact it has increased over the last month. They gave her antihistamines because they thought it might be winter allergies. Then they put her on anitbiotics because it might be an infection. Finally they put her on steriods. Nothing worked and her honking just got worse. I kept thinking it was the growth again.

So I brought her in again and this time I insisted they look at her throat. I just got a call from the vet. She wanted to go over the symptoms again. We discussed tests and possible causes of the problem. They have to do an xray when she is awake to exam the chest to see if there is any breathing problems caused by growths or fluid and/or collapsed trachea.

Then they knock her out and physically look at the back of her throat to check to see if there any changes with the earlier growth they found last year. The DR. that found the growth remembers what it looked like last spring so will know if it has grown. While she is knocked out they will xray her head so they can see the sinus to see if there is anything there. Of course all that is going to be $$$! I don't care but I know DH won't be happy.

While she is out they will clean her teeth. During the inital exam they noticed that one of the back teeth has lots of plaque and that the gum has pulled away and may be infected. That might be the cause of the whole problem. Even though she was on anitbiotics, it might have been the wrong one so didn't cure it.

If they find something right away, they will call but otherwise I won't hear anything till late afternoon. I am a basket case. I can't seem to get anything done. I am so use to her being my shadow and being next to me every minute of every day (and even night time too).

This last year has been like living on the edge everyday, not knowing which way to jump. Not knowing if she was going to be around another month, a year, 5 years. Even the vet doesn't know. So all I can do is wish, hope, pray that she will get over this and we will have a long happy life together. Thanks for listening. I had to get it off my chest. I don't want to bug my DH at work and he gets enough of it when he is home.

C

Here is Elvira.

{{gwi:2033819}}

Comments (25)