SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
techigirl78

Still sad over sudden death of cat :(

techigirl78
11 years ago

On Sunday, my 10 year old cat I have had since I adopted him at 11 passed away. I had been taking him to the vet for the 3 weeks prior and he had went 2 times. He was being treated for infection due to elevated white blood cell count, but vet did indicate a mass or issue on lung xray that likely needed ultrasound to provide clear diagnosis. However, it was recommended to go forward with antibiotics for infection first as that may resolve some of his other symptions particularly since his breathing was not labored.

Earlier this week, I went to my vet with all my questions and I think I'm content now with what happened. I know my vet was trying and in the end they knew my cat had lung cancer in a later stage, but they didn't expect his suddent death. They were shocked when they saw he had passed and went to ER.

So, my issue now is that I smoke. I know, I am working on quitting now. For less then 1 of the 9 years I had my cat I smoked in the house. The rest of the time I smoked in a ventilated 3 season room that is not attached via ventilation/door/windows to my house. Occassionally my cat came to the porch with me and was exposed to the room, but if I would smoked multiple windows and screen door would be open. My vet said these things just happen and that I take wonderful care of my cat and should not blame myself at all. But, lung cancer in cats may be caused by urban environments (I live in a city) and second hand smoke. So, I'm left with the guilt that the less than one year or so my cat was exposed regularly to my smoking may have killed him at 10 years old. It is very hard. My friends say that I shouldn't blame myself and that I stopped smoking around him years ago (actually I don't smoke around anyone or anything else but me). But, it is still hard.

I know some people may post and say that I'm awful. But, really, I never thought much of it. I guess part of me thought if it takes years to effect humans, then a year or less of second hand smoke for a cat or dog wouldn't likely cause a issue. My cat had not lived with the smoking for years except when I did it outside.

In the end, I know I'll never know. However, I loss the most awesome cat I ever had and thought I did it to him is horrible. A purebred bengal boy named kuku who walked on a leash, super cuddly, loved everyone, very outgoing, barely shed, and just all around the best cat/dog a person could ever share a life with.

Comments (13)