SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

Horrible experience

cnvh
16 years ago

I managed to get home before dark last night for a change, so I decided to take our dog for a walk... (There aren't a lot of sidewalks where we live, and I won't dog-walk on the street after dark, so this time of year, most of our outside-time is confined to yard-play.)

Anyway, we got about 3 blocks from our house, when from across the street, I heard a dog start to bark excitedly, having spotted me and my dog walking down the street. A few seconds later, out from between 2 parked cars darted a black puppy at full-speed--- right in front of an oncoming car.

The worst happened-- neither puppy nor driver saw the other, and the poor puppy got hit, HARD. The impact sent him flying across to our side of the street, and the car just kept right on going, even though they HAD to know they hit something-- it sounded like he had hit a trash can or something.

Horrified, I went running to try and get to the puppy (looked like a lab mix, maybe 5-6 months old) before he staggered back out into the street; he was still up on his feet, shakily, and there was no visible bleeding but I'm SURE he had to be injured, and probably in shock. No collar (of course,) so I grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and started yelling as loud as I could, "WHOSE DOG IS THIS? THIS DOG JUST GOT HIT BY A CAR, WHOSE DOG IS THIS??"

From one of the nearby houses, a woman yelled out, "is that my dog?" (Well how the h*ll do I know, lady?!?!) I yelled, "GET OUT HERE, YOUR DOG JUST GOT HIT BY A CAR!!"

As if I wasn't enraged enough already-- it took this stupid woman like 3 or 4 MINUTES to come out of her house, and when she finally did, she wasn't even in a hurry-- she STROLLED across the street to where I was standing, my own leashed dog in one hand and her poor trembling puppy in the other. She didn't even touch the dog at first; all she said was, "the car didn't stop?" then she reached down to scoop up the puppy. "Aww, poor Sparky," she said, "where's your collar?" ?!?!?!?!

It was all I could do to not start screaming at her... I said (probably angrily), "you need to take him to a vet, NOW-- he's probably in shock, he needs to see a vet IMMEDIATELY." I honestly don't think it sunk in, because she really BARELY seemed concerned-- I think she figured that if he was standing and wasn't bleeding, he was probably OK. I probably told her 2 or 3 more times before she carried the puppy back across the street that he needed to see a vet; I think I was in shock at that point and it was all I could think to say.

Who knows if she actually took him or not-- for all I know, that poor puppy might not even be alive today.

I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW UPSETTING THIS WAS... watching the poor puppy get hit, then the driver not even bothering to stop (what if it was a CHILD that he hit?!), the owner barely seeming to care....

Will someone please tell me WHY someone would own a dog if they're just going to leave it tied up outside?!?! For god's sake, dogs are PACK ANIMALS; they need to be around other living creatures, not tied to a chain or rope outside.... And it's not as if there was nobody home-- the stupid owner was home, but she couldn't be bothered to have the puppy in the house with her?!?!

We have one dog... she is like our CHILD. She never, EVER goes outside unless we go with her to supervise. And if she ever got hit by a car like that poor puppy, I would be beyond grief-- I would be absolutely hysterical and inconsolable.

I really just don't understand people... Ugh. It was a horrible night. :(

Comments (9)