SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geosulcata_gw

CPVC pipes making clicking noise in attic after hot water used

geosulcata
11 years ago

We live in FL and had our home repiped with CPVC after the copper lines in the slab leaked. The pipes make noise after hot water is used in the mornings...it clicks, like a dripping sound for 10 minutes after the water has stopped. This is in the summer. We had the plumber come back out and they loosened some of the straps. This provided quite a bit of improvement as the issue is only in the mornings now and not throughout the day as it was before. The issue, I think, is because the pipes travel so far. We have a one story house and the pipes are in the attic. It is the strapping, I believe, that is causing the pipes to make the "dripping" sound. It is VERY annoying to me, but it does not bother my husband (he is the one showering in the mornings while I am sleeping). The sound wakes me up. I would have gone with PEX had I known about the sound issue. The concern I have is the stress on the pipes/straps causing damage on the joints/connectors. Also, we are about to have insulation put in the attic, and I want to get this taken care of before hand. Is there anything that can be done? Also, when the children use the bathroom sink, it makes a harsh sound when they turn off the water. Would a hammer arrester (or whatever they are called) help? Can there be too many of those? There are none on the side of the house that has the clicking issue.

Comments (3)