SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Question for Meghane regarding Urinary Diets.

munkos
15 years ago

Coda our beagle, is on RC Urinary SO and she is not doing so great on it. Chewing her feet, she's got flaky skin now and her feces have become loose. Not runny or overly frequent, just not firm anymore.

The vet looked into diets for me and I was told that my only other options are Royal Canin Duck and potato limited diet, or their Vegetarian Diet.

Also, Science Diet c/d, but she did poorly on that as well, throwing up, chewing her feet, etc.

I was wondering if you know of any other options?? We are going to try the duck and potato diet - but if for whatever reason that doesn't work, I am not comfortable placing her on a vegetarian diet.

From what I understand it's all about keeping her PH at the right level to discourage stones and crystals from forming again? Are there any commercial diets maybe that will also do this?? (Not grocery store brands, but like canidae, wellness, orijen?)

This is of course, assuming her stones were struvite, which we think they are, but won't know 100% for sure for another week or so.

I am just a little hesitant to believe that she can only eat one of two foods (which happen to be what that particular vet sells) for the rest of her life.

Comments (17)