SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Introduction of my kitchen reno, with pics/screenshots

greenhaven
10 years ago

I am in the very beginning stages of planning a kitchen renovation; it was part of the deal when we bought this house, that I would get to redo the kitchen in a year or two. It is a horrible misuse of space in a house that is nearly 2200 sq ft. Believe me, I am doing my homework on planning and design! But I am open to suggestions now, but limiting them to layout (except for glass cabs as noted.)

So, my first challenge is to come up with a working floor plan; aesthetics and design come after since I am very much a function-over-form kind of gal, and it will take me a while to come up with a cohesive style for a semi-open home.

Here are some photos/screen shots. Now, don�t be too jealous of my burgundy countertops, if you really love them that much I can make you a super deal! ;o)
P.S., we have not been here very long, we just moved in the end of January, so the kitchen is sloppy and there are makeshift measures in place (like the bakers rack that holds the microwave but does not fit in that space.)

Current layout referencing 2d footprint:

1. Door to far left leads to garage, mudroom "space" planned for that left wall
2. Living room on opposite side of bottom wall
3. Hallway to right leads to laundry room, half bath, master bedroom and attached master bath (but we are currently sleeping upstairs where the only shower is located)
4. Opening at bottom lines directly up with the front-door entry
5. I do not currently use all my cabinet space, as it is too small or inconveniently located to be of much use

Differences in island layout:

1. mock-up represented without soffit
2. wall and base between fridge and range are 21" instead of 15"
3. removal of partition wall beside fridge allows fridge to slide down a few inches to accommodate above
4. wall cab above DW is glass-fronted
5. addition of OTR Microwave
6. island is 60" instead of 48"
7. island is represented with table but will be standard cabinets with 12" overhang on DR side
8. island is closer to range/fridge by about a foot
9. addition of 27" base cab beside DW

Differences in peninsula layout in addition to 1-5 above:

1. removal of diagonal corner wall cab and flanking 12" wall cab
2. addition of 21" glass wall cab and 36" blind corner cab
3. obviously the addition of base cabs to create peninsula

a. Both layouts increase storage space, plus I have lots of places in the dining room and laundry area to add extra storage
b. Peninsula layout does not accommodate overhang for stool seating (would be only occasional) but allows walkway flexibility
c. The short wall beside the fridge is not functional in any way (except to house electrical wires that are easily re-routed), and necessitates only a 12" space between fridge and range
d. I love the look of an open island, but would lose all storage space in my current one, and as you can see that is a big deal. BUT, the corner wall cabs could be better, and the cab between fridge and range can be bigger to hold more stuff.

So I am torn between preserving as many of the existing cabs with new doors/painting and keeping the costs lower so I can get this done sooner or tearing it all out and starting fresh, which means a much more expensive project, thus having to wait longer.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!