SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

Putting a dog on a diet

sleeperblues
14 years ago

In all the years I have had dogs I have always free fed, which I guess you are not supposed to do. But my dogs never overate and always got enough exercise. My little miniature poodle, Dusty, was diagnosed with asthma in August and has been on steroids since then. He has always liked his food anyway, but apparently he really likes it now. Without me even noticing he has gone from 11 pounds to 15 pounds! And my vet said he was slightly overweight at 11 pounds--I preferred to think of it as "buff".

So reality has finally smacked me in the face (even the groomer noted on her report that Dusty was overweight). I have been feeding him a quarter cup of food two times a day, but this means I have to ration the other two dogs food and not leave it out. And then they think Dustball is getting something special because I give it to him in a separate bowl and try to eat his. Aaargh. Anyway, just venting and wondering if anyone has any good suggestions to getting him down to a more normal weight. I would love to get him off the steroids but he just coughs and hacks if I do. We walk a lot--just got back from 5.5 mile walk and I have been throwing toys a lot more for him.

Comments (18)