SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Is Today's HS Diploma Meaningless?

chisue
15 years ago

I suspect that the standards for graduating high school have slipped so far that the diploma is just about worthless.

Is that why so many employers REQUIRE a college degree -- for even the most ordinary of jobs, jobs any HS graduate would have been thought capable of doing well 20 years ago?

DS has many friends whose college degrees and experience are not utilized in the least in their jobs. But they would not have been hired without a diploma -- not even interviewed.

I see many young people piling up enormous debt to get a college diploma just to get some plain vanilla job at the end of it all -- not even a 'stepping stone' job.

I think education is wonderful, but I've never believed that *everyone* needs 16 years of it. Colleges and universities have grown by leaps and bounds. They are one of our few 'growth industries', and there are some pretty weak colleges out there granting degrees. Most colleges today have to offer remedial first year courses for the HS 'graduates' who haven't been taught or haven't learned fundamentals. Few students graduate from college within four years, even those without money concerns who attend full time.

I think something is wrong with this system. If we had more stringent standards for granting a high school dipolma maybe that degree would mean something again. What do you think about this situation?

Comments (39)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!