SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kclv

Hidden treasures in your kitchen cabinets

kclv
12 years ago

I recently discovered that I was the owner of a very expensive piece of kitchen equipment. I had no idea, and was curious if anyone else has had a similar revelation.

My husband is Italian, so over the years I have received many stove top espresso makers from his relatives. Most of them were the standard Bialetti aluminum pots you can find in any kitchen store.

Many years ago my mother-in-law returned from a trip to Italy with a stainless steel, 6 cup espresso maker. I liked it because it didn't get stained and pitted like the aluminum ones, and it had a stainless handle, unlike the bakelite ones which tend to get brittle and break off. We used it for many years, but eventually the rubber gasket needed to be replaced, and I could not find one that was the proper size. So for years it sat in my cabinet, and more than once I considered donating it to Goodwill.

Cleaning out the cabinets last month, I saw it, and thought to look for replacement gaskets online. (doh!) The manufacturer was Carlo Giannini. I did a search, and found out that my little espresso maker was a Gianinnini model that sells for 150 Euros! I was able to order replacement gaskets, and we are using it again. I'm so glad I didn't give it away.

Similar experiences, anyone?

Comment (1)