SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

Help with Hypertriglyceridemia Diet please

nodakgal
16 years ago

Ok Explain this to me very simple if you can! LOL Cause I dunno what the heck this all means. Never had to watch a thing so far and now its like being thrown into the fire!

This is the first page of 6 that they handed him in the docs office. I will link to a site almost exact I found online that lists foods allowed and foods to avoid.

The hypertriglyceridemia diet is designed to reduce elevated triglyceride levels. Changes in lifestyle--including weight control, increased physical activity, restriction of alcohol, fat and simple carbohydrates are primary therapy for reducing levels.

Weight loss and maintaining desirable weight will generally decrease triglyceride levels. Caloric restriction should emphasize decreased intakes of fats, especially saturated fats. A reduction in dietary saturated fats also promotes the lowering of cholesterol levels. A diet of about 45-55% carbohydrate, up to 30% fat with a P/S ratio of 1 or greater, and 200 mg cholesterol. is widely perscribed.

****MY note what is P/S ratio??

The calorie level will be determined by the dietitian unless the specific caloric level is ordered by the physican.

**** Nobody made an appt with a deititian. So what should I go talk to her? Is 1500 calories enough? Too much?? They do have a sample menu on the last page that sounds easy.

NOTE: the meal patterns for diabetics may be used. These meal patterns are 50% carbohydrates, 20% protein,30% fat.

**** So maybe I am looking in the wrong places for food recipes/diet menus? I looked on a BHG Healthy heart site yesterday, of course I couldn't see the nutritional values either! Dang it I don't want to screw up!

Here is a website almost exact for the next 5 pages of food allowed and to avoid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low cholesterol/Low saturated fat

Comments (11)