SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
computerklutz

Help!...Plumber charged over $1967 for 45minutes..

computerklutz
14 years ago

I feel I have been taken advantage of by a national plumbing company. It is plumbing chain that says how nice they are...hmmm, not telling the truth is not nice.

Please give advice, here is the story:

Oct 14, called national chain plumbing company.

Had a leak, not sure where, but could hear water running. First plumber comes, walks around, says it is under house but he was to large for hatch so he says other plumber will come at 10:00 next day.

10 minutes later the same day both plumbers show up, say other plumber was in the area and will look now. Thinner guy looks under by peering his head in hatch, said he sees the leak, it is on peir and beam side of house, versus slab side, so he will have to dig.

They told me they will charge $550 for 2 hours of digging and then give me price to repair. I understood they can't totally price out without knowing what is going on.

Next day (Oct 15)

9:40 first plumbing truck arrives and sits in street

9:45 second plumbing truck arrives

9:50 they come into house , there are 3 of them, 2 plumbers and a ride along trainee

Digging commences, they don't bring anything to open hatch so for third time I loan them screwdriver and my drop light.

Let me say that from the hatch to the problem is about 3 feet at most.

20 minutes of digging he has located it

request 6 feet of Pex from helper

helper brings in 6 foot of pex

work resumes,

he hands helper back out piece of pex that appears to be about 4 foot long...helper takes pex back to van

at 35 to 40 minutes after starting they are done and getting their stuff. At 45 minutes they provide the bill

at $1967...

Husband is here alone and he has MS and is very weak but tells them how can it be 6 feet of Pex when he saw the guy carry out at least 4 feet. They him and haw and remeasure piece from truck and say it is 4 feet. So they lower price to $1657. They then insist that they can install a tankless hot water heater TODAY for $7700 and they will not charge us for the leak under sink. Husband declines.

I get home, not even gone an hour (I got home at 10:50 and they are long gone) and see bill and am furious.

Husband calls main office, they say that they used so much Pex as plumbers had a large several foot LOOP that had to be done. I don't believe them, so I decide to go under the house myself. I have never been under the house but this is not right.

I move stove, open hatch and go under there myself.

I first see they left their shovel, I see there mud on the walls and around hatch. Normally I wouldn't care, but Im upset given the price, they should be neat!

I took lots of pictures, as best I can tell quite a bit less than 2 feet was used. I'm not sure how to measure Pex. Is it just the Pex or Pex and coupler? If just the Pex there is about 14 inches of just pex used, add in the couplers and you get at most 20 inches of couplers and pex.

Please see the pictures at http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee176/im4vratexan/plumbingworkoct1509/

How is that they could claim 6 feet of Pex?

I feel I was cheated or lied to. Why should I have to go under house to prove they lied?

Help, I'm just a housewife who is out of my league, but does this sound fair?

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

Comments (24)