SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Seizure information needed

debbiep_gw
13 years ago

After posting last week about the OTC nausea thread I went ahead and took Sally(7 year old basset) to the vet that day.She has excessive drooling.She has had this a few years.Some days its extemely bad and other days while its still bad its not as bad as I know it can be.Originally it was thought to be because of gingivitis(she has it) and then we moved to stomach issues as she does have some issues with her stomach.We are now looking at neurological reasons for the excessive drooling.I was asked alot of questions about did I think she has seizures.I don't know alot about them but I have read about them here.I have never seen her have any of the symptoms described here or any noticeable ones that I read about after googling seizures.There were a few things that I did read under the symptoms that made me think of her,things such as clingy.A few of the symptoms that happen before a seizure.Also she does have this involuntary looking thing she does with her back end that is really weird but I never thought of it being related to seizures and it probably isn't.She twitches her back end around and rubs it against whatever she is by and goes under a chair and does it.It looks like she is trying to scratch something and never does it unless she is by something to rub against.We figure this is a itch.I have never seen her during all this time have any of the sympstoms that are common with seizures.I am with her all the time.I don't work out of the home.Our vet wanted to try phenobarbital for 7 days to see if it would work and by the third day I noticed a significant improvement.The fourth day she was totally dry that day.Today is the fifth day and she is still dry.I have wiped her after coming back inside but its was just your normal wetness from being outside.Is phenobarbital used for other reasons than seizures?If she has been having seizures are there any that you just would not really notice?TIA

Comments (2)