SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audra101

Severe, 'Continuous' Seizures - HELP!

audra101
11 years ago

My boxer, Cedar, just had a MASSIVE, 'continuous' seizure, for what we believe is the first time, this evening. Just prior, she had walked outside (the door was open), and when she came in my husband noticed she seemed a bit wobbly. Then all of a sudden she started convulsing wildly. Her body was literally flopping around on the floor and she was rolling like a pin ball. My husband was able to get hold of her and she calmed down, but she would start flopping again if he let go even the slightest (maybe even when he was still holding her tight; I'm not sure because I was calling the nearest emergency hospital).

He held her on the floorboard (she was convulsing some as he got in the car, so she couldn't stay in his lap), and she was still for the brief ride to the hospital. The vet tech helped her out of the car, and her head was lolling. Her eyes looked absent. They stabilized her and did a blood test, which didn't come back with any concerning results.

Cedar is ten years old, so it's most likely not epilepsy, as this was her first episode. Without doing tests, they can't know for sure, but there's a fairly significant chance it could be neurological, maybe a brain tumor. Recently, she's also been slightly incontinent (on and off, usually light urination), and I noticed on our walk yesterday that she had to pee several times, and always just a dribble. Because of this, and a concerning growth on her hind leg, we were planning to take her to the vet this week, anyway. In every other way, though, she's seemed fined. She's a little slower, though she still usually wants to walk faster than her 4yr old Boston Terrier brother. She doesn't jump the fence anymore (she used to like to jump back and forth to guard te house), and she doesn't like to use the dog door, though she does most of the time. But again, she's over 10 years old.

After she stabilized tonight we decided to bring her home, though the vet recommended an expensive overnight to monitor her and give her more fluids and some temporary meds. When we went back to see her, she just wanted to crawl into my lap, and we honestly couldn't afford to spend so much money just for them to observe her. She drank quite a bit and rested after coming home, then got up on her own and came into the bedroom to lie in her usual spot. She's breathig and stirring like she normally does.

I'm just so scared. Her seizure was probably the most terrifying thing I've ever seen. My husband and I don't know what to do. We love her so much and just want her to be comfortable. If anyone has any advice, or maybe you've experienced something similar, I'd be grateful for you to share. Thanks so much!

Comments (10)