SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Want to install my own waser supply shut-off valve

californiaplaya
17 years ago

I recently bought my first home - a condo. There are four units in each building. No one has their own water supply shut-off valve. To shut off the water, I have to turn it off at the main gate which supplies two buildings (eight units). As you can imagine, this is a hastle anytime someone wants to do some plumbing work and has to let seven other residents know. Besides, that gate is 23 years old and its getting rusty and a bit hard to turn without a key. Should there be an emergency and the water would need to be shut off fast, it would be difficult without the proper tools.

What I would like to do it install a shut-off valve where ever my supply comes into my unit or branches off from the main supply, or whatever the case may be. But thats the part that I'm unsure off. Where would my supply line come into the unit? I'm not doing the work myself, I'd have it professionally done. I'm just trying to figure out how involved this would be and if it is worth it or not.

If it helps, the buildings are three levels. The garage is on the lower level and everyone has their own water heater in their own private garage. There are two units on the second floor and two on the third floor. So, its basically a four-plex. I am on the second level right above the garage.

Thanks!!!

Comments (8)