SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vique_pa

dangerous

Vique_Pa
16 years ago

I got an e-mail from my sister this morning. She told me that her son had given her some fresh salmon and she put it into the freezer. Last night after dinner she decided to thaw some of it out for supper tonight. They were frozen together so she decided to separate them. When she had difficulty getting them apart she got a dull rounded butter knife and tried to pry them apart. They separated and the knife slipped with a good bit of force behind it. She cut the ring finger on her left hand and it started bleeding heavily. She pulled the wound apart and could see that it was very deep. She just moved from Pittsburgh to Elizabethtown and doesn't have a doctor as yet, and didn't know where the nearest hospital was so she called 911. The EMS people were at her door in about 5 min.! It turned out that she had cut her finger to the bone, severed the tendon and an artery, hence the incredible amount of blood. At Hershey medical Center, they x-rayd her hand gave her a tetnus shot and put 7 stitches in her finger, bandaged it with a big blue bandage, called a cab for her and sent her home. She is on antibiotics, of course, and she has to go back to the hospital to have PLASTIC SURGERY to repair the tendon or she will not be able to bend the finger. So....beware of dull, rounded knives...especially when they have a serrated edge! If any of you are in the habit of separating frozen food with a knife, stop it! I am one of the guilty ones ( hanging my head in shame. )

Comments (10)