SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meghane_gw

Stupid owner can't housetrain a smart Rottweiler

Meghane
15 years ago

The stupid owner in question is me, and the otherwise smart Rottweiler is Nunyette, the ~10-12 month old female/spayed I adopted from a client at work because I couldn't kill her. She was supposedly aggressive towards children and small animals, but I haven't had a problem with that at all. I've had her since September.

The problem is that Nunyette keeps pooping in the house. This actually started relatively recently and I have no idea why. Our routine has not changed. Either DH or I take all the dogs out first thing in the morning. Then we feed them, then they go outside again before we leave for work. Nunyette stays in a crate during the day, and NEVER has an accident in it. They all go out as soon as we get home, again before dinner, after dinner, and before bed. Walk are whenever. I am in the process of hiring a walker for the middle of the day since we are gone at work so long, but that is not our current problem.

What has been happening recently (last month or so) is that she comes in from being outside for at least 15 minutes, maybe more, and then poops in the house. She could be standing right in front of either one of us, it doesn't matter. This morning, she pooped outside before breakfast, and before I could take them out again, she pooped in the kitchen while I was making my own breakfast, standing no more than 2 feet away from me.

I've *never* had a dog who would poop right in front of me before. Aleks, Ana, Tatyana, and K'Ehleyr would run off and poop, I tethered them inside and problem resolved. We have tried a firm NO, choke collar correction, and we have a shock collar with a remote. We ALWAYS correct ONLY if we catch her in the act, NEVER even a second after the fact. She does it right in front of us, so it's easy. And FRUSTRATING as heck!

I praise her like a freaking idiot when she poops outside. We sometimes play in the yard, but never during potty breaks. In fact, if we are going to play in the yard, I take them all outside first, bring them inside while I clean up the yard, and then we all go back outside. She has a retractable leash to potty and we leave her off-leash to play. I use different commands for potty and play. This has always been successful for me in the past. I walk them on a 6 foot leash and we leave by the front door, so they know it is not potty time. She doesn't poop on walks, although I am always ready with baggies just in case.

She has taken a liking to eating the billions of acorns outside. I am trying to discourage this because otherwise she would just keep eating acorns and NEVER potty. When she picks one up, I call her to me (she is perfectly obedient) and take it out of her mouth with a NO. We are still working on DROP IT. I try to catch her picking up the acorns and saying NO with a leash correction, but it is difficult to determine if she is sniffing to find the perfect poop spot or sniffing for acorns. Obviously, I don't want to discourage/confuse her from pooping outside.

She NEVER pees in the house, always goes outside. Otherwise Nunyette is a wonderful dog, very sweet, very obedient, only mildly destructive (she likes to de-stuff the dog beds), just regular puppy type stuff. But this pooping in the house thing is really frustrating. Right now my plan is to leave her in the crate except to eat and go out for potty/walks, but that is a really bad plan IMHO. She sleeps in a crate in our bedroom, and is in a crate all day M-F; I hate to crate her all the time, but I don't know what to do about the pooping in the house thing. The tethering isn't working. ARGH!

Please help me find a non-cruel way to housetrain this dog!

Comments (22)