SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sephia_gw

Constant Breeding

sephia
15 years ago

I have a co-worker who has become a friend. I knew she had two dogs - both Lhasa Apso's. What I didn't know but recently found out is that she constantly breeds these dogs. She has a male and a female that she breeds. I don't know how often a female can have puppies but it seems like she's always breeding them. I have known her about a year and in that time I know the female has had about 5 litters, and usually 7-8 puppies in each litter. She then sells these puppies for about $400 - $500 a piece. She recently bought another male. She has one female and two males.

I don't know how often a female can have puppies but it seems like she's frequently telling me that "Missy" just had her puppies, and then she sends me a picture of the pups.

Is my friend considered a back yard breeder? I know she sells these puppies to supplement her income, but breeding that female about 5 times a year seems extreme.

Is this normal? It bothers me to know that this poor female dog is being used to generate $$ for her litters of pups.

Comments (21)