SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

flex gas line to water heater?

homebound
16 years ago

Our old water heater is living on borrowed time (1985 Rheem), so I want to prepare for installing the next one (which will be my first). (It hasn't been flushed in the 8 years we've been here, if ever, so I'm afraid to even touch it. Sacrificial anode hasn't been checked either.

At this point, we've adopted the "wait until it fails" approach - so I hope it does so with a bit of leaky warning bells as opposed to "catastrophically". (yes, yes I know the risk, since the basement is newly finished, too. - shame on me.)

Anyway, for the new install, how do you get the union in the gas line to line up perfectly, heightwise? Can yellow flex gas line be used at all?

I suppose I can practice on our current one, since I found a small gas leak at one of the fittings (female-female coupling). It's a vertical piece fairly close to, and above the union, so I want to back it all out and redo it. As for getting it to line up again, what's the trick? Just tighten the heck out of it all, and then-some, if need be?

BTW, I have Hercules Pipe dope and rectorseal. Either is fine, right?

Thanks.

Comments (4)