SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

And speaking of lawyers

azzalea
16 years ago

There was some mention of them on the Texas post, but as this is a different topic, I didn't want to divert or hijack that thread.

I just wanted to add that there are some really, really good lawyers out there.

I've posted before about the terrible situation in my family.

Nutshell--SIL stole a quarter of a million--almost all the cash available--that was set aside for MIL's end care. MIL has Alzheimer's.

Our lawyer was amazing. Yes, we paid him a great deal ($20,000 and counting out of our pocket, to protect MIL's interests), but nowhere NEAR what he would normally have charged for some other sort of case. He did so much work for us for free, and was always there to answer the phone, or if we just stopped into his office in distress (even without an appt.)--and he didn't have the clock running for those things. Mind you, he's normally an extremely highly paid, high profile lawyer, but he was almost as offended as we were about the situation and did a great deal to help us right it. I'm sure he's performed between $50,000-100,000 worth of work for us. We're into our 5th year of dealing with this, and he's been by our side the entire time.

Our forensic accountant was the same--he charged only a nominal fee for his work, and donated many hundreds of hours to us.

And then there's the court-appointed guardian (he's an eldercare attorney). He's entitled to be paid for his time and work. But he rarely bothers to take his fee. He's not working for us, nor for the 'outlaws'. He came into this case because the judge asked him to take on the responsibility. He, also, has donated so much of his time--if he hadn't, MIL would be out on the streets by now. Her money would have long ago run out. As it is, it's about gone now, but thankfully, she's no longer aware of where she is, so she was able to live out all her cognizant days in the house she loved--the one she was born in, grew up in, and raised her own children in.

So, that's my long-winded way of saying a HUGE and SINCERE "Thank You" to the good lawyers out there who have a heart and who are willing to help when needed.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County