SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
warmfridge

Design question--Bump-outs for appliances

warmfridge
14 years ago

I'm working with a custom cabinet maker to design cabinets & storage to help accommodate my back injury. We are planning to just tweak the layout in my existing kitchen, as the current layout works well for me and moving plumbing/electrical would be both difficult and expensive.

Current kitchen layout (one corner of a ''great room''):

Tweaks:

1) Perimeter counters will be 40'' tall and island 38'' tall. Stove and DW will be on custom bases.

2) I really want at least a couple 14'' deep upper cabinets, so we are going to do that on the short run.

3) We talked about making the lower cabinets deeper, but it's really difficult to configure that in the corner next to the sink. Cabinet guy is working on ideas.

4) Island will be extended south by 15-18'' or whatever it takes to add a trash pullout.

5) South cabinet on long run will be 3'' wider to use wasted space there.

6) More user-friendly drawers, pullouts, etc.

Now the appliances...

1) New DW is 25 1/4'' deep plus a 2 1/4'' deep handle. This will protrude out from 24'' cabs considerably, and the DW is RIGHT in my main prep area.

2) New range will be either 25 3/8'' deep plus a 2'' handle OR a 25 3/4'' deep slide-in.

I am concerned about the protruding DW. It seems counterproductive to raise the countertops to help me avoid bending, then install something than requires bending. Could I do a counter bumpout at the DW? The existing aisle is 54'' there. Then what should I do at the stove? I need ideas.

Comments (2)