SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Quirky Kitchen Layout (again)

grlwprls
14 years ago

I've tossed the architects out on their collective ***** and I'm going forward myself designing my kitchen.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good!

A few points of clarity:

No doors can be moved - there's only one: and it requires steps up to the raised portion of the house. The doorway is on the left-hand wall.

Because of the steps, I don't think I can actually *get* any storage under the "hutch" cabinet to the right of the window. I need to get the true dimensions of the steps and give that one area a bit more thought. If that ends up being the case, I may just run a longer counter here and then do bookshelves or a plate rack above. Or maybe just a normal stacked wall cabinet. Pantry storage, maybe? Those darn steps. Ugh.

The hash-marked portion of the island/table (on the left-hand wall) is fixed at 22"x36"x36". The leaf has a gateleg and that section is just about 18". Of course, it can remain closed or it can really be opened in a Prepping Emergency to 58". Admittedly, you wouldn't be able to open the cabinet, but how often would this happen? Also, *open* you only have a 30" aisle. Again, this doesn't *always* have to be open. The fixed area gives you 60" to the sink run.

I have a 48" hood indicated, but I can go with 42", obviously, over my 36" range.

There are (2) 36" glass fronted flanking the range hood. We have 13' ceilings if it matters.

I have to deal with a blind corner. Do I want to go in from the range wall or the sink wall?

Trash in the 12" pullout. Simplehuman can.

Sink cabinet can probably get shaved down in 33" to accommodate the 30" Shaw's sink.

I'm fine with the 18" dishwasher. I handwash my pots. As long as I can get my glasses in the dishwasher, I'm happy. I hate handwashing glasses!

Yes, the path between the fridge and sink run is only 36". It says it isn't to scale on the sketch, but it is. I double checked.

The fridge is to the left of the window to allow a little wiggle room for the surround and to keep it from being smooshed into the corner.

The dreaded "desk"/dry prep space. I'd use butcher block here - French cleat to attach to the flanking cabinets. Pendant light above. Counter dies into window. I can tuck a drafting stool under there too. That gives me a second perch point, a landing place for the micro (if it ends up in the bookcase/hutch area), an extra prep counter, a place to grab a snack, a "bar area" for mixing drinks, a landing area for fridge, or a place to check recipes on the laptop or from a cookbook.

There's definitely room for overflow pantry space in the storeroom directly behind this room (up the steps). I am not a big "small appliance" person. All my dishes are basic white, so I don't mind showing them off in glass fronted cabinets. I even don't mind seeing some pantry items in jars: beans, lentils, etc.

I think this layout gives more circulation, more options for work and prep space, but it does make some things a bit of a walk (the fridge).

Comments (13)