SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greatdaen

Trouble Soldering 1.5' copper

greatdaen
16 years ago

I am trying to solder some 1.5" copper fittings. This is a water supply to an out-building so I have several fittings in a short distance including a valve, a union, a spigot and numerous T's and elbows. Many of the joints worked just fine. But I have a few that just will not seal.

I am using a MAP torch and Oatay solder and flux - off the shelf stuff from Home Depot. I have meticulously cleaned each joint - emery cloth on the pipe, brush and emery cloth on the interior of the fittings. I apply flux right after cleaning each surface.

After each failure, I have de-soldered the joint, wiped all excess solder away, re-cleaned as above.

When I de-solder, the failure is apparent. The solder is not wicking entirely around the joint. The copper is hot enough to melt the solder, but the solder tends to stay at the edge of the fitting - almost like my flux is wax - not flux.

With uneven solder flow, it would seam I don't have enough heat. The heat has been sufficient to liquify the solder at the other end of the fitting. It really seams like the fitting has an impurity in it perhaps. Is this plosible?

I have attempted this particular joint 4 times without luck and am getting a little frustrated. The other joints are not causing me trougle. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-dch

Comments (8)