SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joanneswimsct

How to heat an 'indoor' structure

joanneswimsct
16 years ago

Hi gang!

I'm getting closer to making some BIG decisions and need the help of you pool guru's!

My goal is to build a simple vinyl lined 20x40 rectangular pool with a not-so-simple indoor/outdoor retractable pool enclosure. The reason for this is I run a swim academy and want the pool to be in use year round on my property instead of me running all over town looking for pool space. The temp of the H2O and air would remain a constant 85 degrees for the best learning conditions. The structure will be free-standing and installed on a freeze-line foundation all according to local code. The building itself is ready to go; my question is: how do I heat this puppy efficiently/economically (or is that an oxymoron?). I live in central CT, have a tall tree line that obscures the sun all winter and have been given all sorts of advice but none of it twice! The structure is twin-walled polycarbonate and aluminum and runs on a track to open/close. (see Libarte.com) The size is 34x60, the wall height is 7.5' and the max center height is 10.5'That's a LOT of cubic air to heat in the winter. IF I had full sun I've been told the indoor air would be approx 40 degrees warmer than the outside temp due to passive solar. The tree line in question may belong to my back neighbor; a survey will tell. If the trees are mine, they're getting a buzz cut (they are hemlocks). If they are his, I can't touch them. With or without the trees, I'll still need heat. Here are some of the suggestions from my PB as well as from enclosure owners w/ similar sizes and weather conditions: PB says to use a furnace w/ a radiator. Says the air and H2O would flow in to the radiator, be heated to 150 degrees then spit out warm air/H2O as told to by a thermostat. (It's more complicated than that but he said to think of it the way my own home gets heated; forced hot air w/ the pool H2O getting heated as well.) He says it will dehumidify the air and heat both the air and H2O w/o needing a traditional pool heater. Says I should plan on spending upwards of $25K for the right system. YIKES! Owners of similar structures have all used more of a micky mouse approach w/ varying results: 1.Modeen-type vent-free propane heaters like seen in garage/mechanic shops placed in each corner of the enclosure. Look for those w/ thermostats and blowers. Use a traditional pool heater for the H2O, 2. Huge heater/blowers much like you see at entryways to Home Depot, etc and traditional pool heaters, 3. Vent a pellet stove or gas stove or gas fire place and a traditional pool heater as well.

My PB is convinced all ways but his are going to cost HUGE bucks in heating costs over time and will only cause it to rain everyday inside the structure on cold days. He says using a system as he described would be the only way to reduce the condensation as well as keep the temperature of air and water the most consistant. Says it will cost less than $2k per year to run the entire pool including fuel, electricity and chemicals. A guy here in CT w/ a similar building shut his pool down after spending $1k last Dec on propane; he was using a vented propane air heater as well as a traditional pool heater. THAT scares the poop out of me!

Soooooooo, is my PB right? Do I spend a huge amount of $ up front on this system and hope it works or does anyone out there have any other advice? I should add, my PB has nothing to gain by offering his advice; he would not be making $ by selling this sytem to me. He HAS installed many indoor pools and finds this way to work best. If I can figure out how to heat this structure w/o going out of business I will begin the build!! Heat is my last decision!

Thanks as always for your advice as seen in other posts and I look forward to some great ideas!!

Joanneswimsct

Comments (17)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio