SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
w0lley32

cast iron to abs joint won't cure

w0lley32
14 years ago

Hi! At my parent's house, there is an ABS drain pipe from the kitchen sink that transitions to a cast iron elbow where the pipe emerges from the concrete slab in the basement.

The ABS pipe broke about 2" above the cast iron elbow, and the part that broke is a fitting, not a standard ABS pipe. So we called a plumber who removed the old ABS fitting, installed a piece of ABS, stuffed what looked like oakum in the gap between the ABS and the elbow, and finished with what he called PC4, which look like oakum with concrete on it. He dipped it in a bowl of water to activate it, and then tamped it around the pipe with a screwdriver. When he was finished, he asked us to fill the sink and then pull the plug.

When we did, some water was oozing out of his repair. He said not to worry, to let it cure for a couple of days. We have not been using the sink for 4 days (doing dishes in the laundry room) and today, the joint is still wet and water still comes oozing out of it. When my dad called the plumber back, he said that this had nothing to do with his work, that water came oozing out because the drain was clogged, and the clog was caused by my parents not using the sink for 4 days, it allowed for the grease inside the cast iron pipe to swell and block the pipe. The water drained really well in less than 15 seconds and did not bubble at all in the sink.

My question is: is anyone of you familiar with the product he used, and is it normal for it to be still wet and letting water to ooze out after 4 days? Also, if this is not normal, how would you guys fix this? Thanks.

Comments (9)