SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shezzy_in_sj

Black residue on cast iron skillet

shezzy_in_sj
18 years ago

Hey, all.

I made a peach cobbler in a seasoned cast iron skillet over the weekend, and by the next morning what was left in the skillet (in frig over night) tasted metallic-y. I dumped the rest of the cobbler and wiped it really quickly with a barely soapy sponge and rinsed with hot water. The sponge came off with a black residue, and the paper towels when I dried the pan did too.

This is the first time this pan has reacted this way. I've done the cobbler before, but don't remember this issue. We haven't seasoned the pan, in the oven, for a while and I know DH forgets to put it "to bed" with a wipe and wipe off of oil on it when we use it.

I went to rub some Crisco on it just now to reseason the thing, but the paper towel came away with the black again.

Because I haven't run into this before, it'd be great if you could give me some pointers about what I might be doing incorrectly.

It's never been in the DW, or vigorously scrubbed with soap. But DH does insist on a quick wipe with a slightly soapy sponge to encourage any clinging bits to come off in the wash.

Thanks for your help.

Sherry

Comments (23)