SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowapilot84

Cat Peeing on Bed - Advice

iowapilot84
13 years ago

Hello All,

I am new here and am seeking out the expertise of others with a situation that I've been dealing with over the course of the past month and a half or so. Essentially, I got a second cat for the household (Muggs). I have had my existing cat since 2006 (Chloe). When I initially brought Muggs in Chloe was very resistant to her appearance. I worked hard to integrate Muggs to the household, carefully introducing them over time to ease the relations among each cat. At this point, Chloe tolerates Muggs but they are by no means "best buddies." I have had a problem with Muggs urinating on my bed. I am pasting emails that I have sent to my vet with respect to the situation.

While I know my posting is lengthy, I hope that more information is better than less. I want to share this information in hopes that new suggestions and ideas could be offered to help me resolve the problem. In summary, I am very frustrated with the entire situation and feel that I have done a lot to try and resolve Mugg's tendency to urinate on my bed to no avail. I appreciate and look forward to any advice that members' can offer me. Thanks in advance!

1st email sent to the vet on 10-21-10

Hello,

I caught Muggs urinating on my bed this morning. I quickly told her no and took her to her litter box but by that time she had already finished going on my bed. I noticed a urine smell last night on my sheets and blankets on the bed so I removed them and have washed them. I cleaned the mess off my bed but don't have a special treatment to neutralize the odor. I don't know how long she has been doing this as I just noticed it initially last night. I clean the litter box every other day but plan on doing it daily now in case that is part of the issue. The box did have a cover on it but I have now removed that, as I read online that some cats don't like the cover on the box and to try something new. Do you have any other suggestions; should I bring Muggs in for a checkup or is there anything else I can try? Help!!!!

Thanks,

Matthew Russell

Response from the Vet on 10-21-10

Dear Matthew,

We would like to see Mugs. She may have a urinary infection and needs to be checked. You may either drop her off this morning or call for an appointment.

Dr Falk

*At that point, I spoke with the vet and they told me to make sure I don't even say no to Muggs when urinating on the bed. Since then, when I've caught her I have made sure to be as non-confrontational as possible so as not to stress her out.

Email sent to the vet 12-1-10 (Not yet answered)

Hello,

I wanted to reach out and provide an update on Muggs and the soiling situation with my bed.

As you are aware, we have utilized a variety of treatment regimens over the prior month to help combat her urinating on my bed.

I've done the following to try and stop the problem:

1. Purchased a 2nd litter box, placed in a different room

*Clean both litter boxes at least daily, if not, every other day

2. Purchased Litter Magnet and applied very liberally to both boxes

3. Purchased Amitriptyline approximately 1 month ago

*Pursuant to the instructions, I have been treating Muggs daily

4. Purchased No Mark.

*Initially sprayed my bed daily. Have reduced it to once or twice a week most recently.

Despite this, another outbreak of urination on my bed has taken place. The tracked dates and times are listed below.

1. 11/9/10 - Approx. 11:50 P.M.

2. 12/1/10 - Approx. 8:45 P.M.

3. 12/1/10 - Approx 10:45 P.M.

With the most recent incident at 10:45 P.M.; I had cleaned the litter boxes yesterday morning (11/30) and then again this evening about an hour before the incident. I could not discern a specific reason why she would have urinated on my bed after almost a month not doing so; I am surprised why she was doing so well and then suddenly had two incidents within mere hours on the same day.

I am not sure what further steps I can take to combat this situation; I feel as if I am running out of options. Are there any other potential things I can do from a treatment perspective? Muggs is a wonderful cat but I cannot continue to persevere if she is going to urinate on my bed.

If additional treatment options are limited or nonexistent I will have to look at getting rid of her. Should I choose to do this, is there any guidance you can provide me for the best place to take her? I purchased her at PetLand in Iowa City; I am not sure if I could return her there or if I would need to take her to the Animal Shelter.

Feel free to respond via e-mail if it's easier for you to outline detailed responses to my concerns. You may also reach me via my cell phone. I will be busy with work throughout the morning but will be able to touch base over my lunch hour (12-1).

Thanks for your assistance and guidance in advance,

Matthew Russell

Comments (9)