SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

why does my cat pee on my bed?

downsouth
18 years ago

About every 3 to 4 weeks, our cat will pee on my bed or on any clothes in the floor that are close to the bed. I first saw a big wet spot on my new down comforter. It's dark red, so it was really noticeable. At first I thought she threw up, but the smell said otherwise. We took her to the vet thinking she might have a bladder infection, and the vet asked if we had changed her food or cat litter, there was no bladder problem. We had changed her litter brand, so we switched it back. Three weeks later she did the same thing. Hubby changes her litter often.If I didn't have a mattress pad on this bed, these mattresses would be ruined!! I am also tired of washing the comforter, the sheets and the mattress pad!

I have to sleep alone because od back problems. She has never peed on my husband's bed, not once! (this bed is close to her litter box in the master bath.)

The vet asked if she likes both of us and she does. We got her from the shelter in May when our cat died. She is part Siamese. We buy her toys, and just bought her a cat tree which she loves.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Comments (172)

• hisangellady_gmail_com
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am an owner of 1 female (spayed) cat. She was a stray and we brought her home,after a couple of months after having her she became in heat and she started spraying in my husbands chair,we finally relized it was from her being in heat. After she was out of heat we got her spayed. After that all was fine,till about a month ago,now she's peeing on my husbands side of the bed,at this time it was when I didn't have nothing in the bed but a bottom sheet,the litter box is cleaned twice daily food and water full.Well after getting rid of the mattress and put a new one on,everything was fine,till just the other day she did it again on my husband side,now my bedroom door stays shut.. what's so weird is she sleeps with us at night and there's no problems....

• CArrOTS
    12 years ago

Tutta is a 10 year-old spayed male - he was diagnosed with DM Diabetes 2, four weeks ago. Currently he has hair loss, which is another hurdle to overcome in his life. The verse is meant as a tip - hopefully it will work for you.

We were at the "end of our tether"
    Three nights in a row, our feline would "go"
    On our bed, whatever the weather

Our bedding was drenched, oh what a stench
    All hours of the night we would wake
    Orange peel, powder; even a spray
    How much of this could one take?

Then an idea came to me, out of the blue
    An awesome one, people; it's true
    I spread supermarket bags over our bed
    To see what our "Tutta" would do

It worked a treat, Tutta was beat
    He hates the sound the bags make
    Instead of lost sleep, and the counting of sheep
    We hear Tutta snore, on the floor!

• Related Discussions

HELP why is my cat peeing on my bed

Q

Comments (5)
    If you are able to keep her out of your sleep area altogether do so. I had an elderly cat that started peeing in a walkway. I tried everything else and finally placed a litterbox over the spot--which luckily worked. Possibly if you moved your bed away from the area a bit and placed a litterbox right there it would help, but imo this cat has found a way to get your immediate attention with some other aim in mind, such as going outside or being fed. You could also try placing him or her in a crate, with a tiny litterbox into which you place the cleanup materials from his or her recent "accident" to see if that would get the message across, but it has to be done instantly after the transgression. Additionally, if the cat is allowed to go outside, you could give it tasty cat treats each time it signals a desire to go outside to you. It is highly possible that cat has been sending you signals that you have not been picking up on, and it is treating you like Helen Keller was by her teacher. Read up a bit on cat communication strategies and see if that will help.
    ...See More

Bengal Cat pee-ing in my bed

Q

Comments (2)
    First, read the link below, then make an appt with your vet to have your cat examined. The site below also has lots of other information that you may find useful. Please keep us posted ......... Here is a link that might be useful: Inappropriate Elimination
    ...See More

My cat keeps peeing on my pillows :S

Q

Comments (8)
    My cat was peeing on my bed too. Luckily it was made and didn't saturate the mattress. we just washed the covers. I took her to the vet, like everyone says you should, to make sure she was healthy and it wasn't a bladder problem. It was not, the vet said behavioral. So, What I did was confine her to a guest room that had no furniture in it. This guest room is very nice and sunny. I put her litter box and her food in there. I also made sure she had many toys and a cozy bed. Little by little, I let her come out of the room but she was always supervised. Also, I kept ALL the bedroom doors closed (because she had also pee'd on my son's bed). Anyway, eventually I felt she could come out and spend time in other parts of the house but always supervised (at first). She has been very good (keeping fingers crossed) and has not had anymore accidents. Also, I tried that cat calming spray called Feliway. I didn't like the odor of it and it seemed to make her awfully mellow so I discontinued using it. I also made sure she had a clean litter box. So far so good. I personally think that this is a very insecure cat, she was a stray, and she was marking our beds because she was insecure. She is feeling more comfortable now but I'm still keeping the bedroom doors shut because I don't want anymore accidents. Good luck! I think that it's a trial and error situation, you have to work and find out what works with your cat. Oh, also, I still use the guest room for her "bedroom" at night. I just feel better knowing that she's in "her: room and she seems to really like it in there anyway. During the day she has the run of the house but she likes her corner in the guest room and I find her in there sleeping.
    ...See More

why is my cat pee'ing in hubs office?!

Q

Comments (14)
    We had adopted Pearl who we thought was the best cat in the entire world. Over time I realized she prefers to be the only cat and let me know by spraying the carpet in three rooms. Each of the rooms had a history that Pearl insisted on masking. The den area carpet was where our dog had laid for her final moment . I dragged the area carpet outside, saturated it with water, and then applied a mixture of dawn, vinegar, baking soda and hydrogen peroxide in stages. The second bedroom had housed my daughter's cats for a weekend so Pearl let me know she was Queen of this room. The last carpeted room had a puppy accident and Pearl insisted that she reigned this territory . My gut thinks that sometime during installation there was a accident and your cat is now masking the odor. I found that washing the area in stages with the above routine rid the carpet of the issue. I applied a mixture of dawn , water using a carpet vacuum to remove the water. I then let it dry . I added white vinegar to the carpet and again soaked up the moisture. The last is sprinkling baking soda all over a larger area then needed and pouring the hydrogen peroxide . I then squeegeed as much moisture out. Hydrogen peroxide has never stained my silk . wool or nylon rugs but it did turn the beige polyester carpet a funky yellow. There is a history in your den carpet that she does not like at all!!!!
    ...See More
  • KERRYLAMANAC_YAHOO_COM
    12 years ago

My cat does the same thing,
    and I'm at my wit's end.
    I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of giving her away because she's a terrible cat in general.
    I've never seen a cat act like her.
    I've had her since she was 6 weeks old, and she is now almost a year old.
    She jumps on the counters and knocks stuff in the floor and lets the dogs tear it up.
    She meows LOUDLY while we're sleeping and bangs on the door.
    And even when we are in the same room as her, she meows NONSTOP.
    She doesn't even like us.
    She stands by herself all day.
    She bolts out the door every chance she gets, and she's not fixed.
    She has already had a litter, and we still have a kitten that nobody wanted.
    And she just recently came back from a little trip she went on outside and came back with a male cat that tried to scratch us when we went out to get her.
    So she's probably pregnant again.
    And on top of ALL of that, she pees on our bed now.
    She has never done this until a few weeks ago.
    She goes in our bedroom and likes looking out the window,
    but if we EVER leave the door open now, she goes in there an pees on the bed.
    It could have something to do with her being in heat, but either way, it's disgusting and nothing works to get her to change.
    She is literally SCARED of me now because i have ti scare her off the counters or ANYTHING all the time.

• petra_gw
    12 years ago

^^ Why the heck have you not had her spayed??

• kcmolg
    12 years ago

HELP!!! My 16 year old female cat just peed on my bed right by my feet. She has never, ever done this before. We keep her litter box clean, and there has not been any tramatic or other changes in our house or routine. I just woke up this morning and moved my feet to find it soaking wet from cat pee. I have no idea why she would do this. She does not sleep on my bed.

• judithn
    12 years ago

kcmolg, the first thing you need to do is take her to the vet to make sure she doesn't hae a uti.

• golfergirl36_gmail_com
    12 years ago

My 7-month old Ragdoll kitten has been peeing on the bed every several weeks.

I do not have down bedding (rather a down alternative). She tested negative for any medical issues. I clean the 3 boxes for my 2 cats daily, sometimes twice daily.

I think she just gets confused early in the morning when she is still tired. It's odd that she is still doing this at 7 months, but my vet has suggested to try placing the litter boxes in different spots.

I have one in my master bath, but maybe that's too close to the bedroom?

Obviously there is no one fix as everyone's cat may be experiencing a completely different problem. Don't give up on your cat. He/She needs you to be a patient cat parent.

Good luck!

• betsyhac
    12 years ago

kerrylamanac, you can't possibly be for real. If you are, I'd be "scared" of you too.

• manders_noark_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have 2 cats, Graciela (12yr female tuxedo) & Oliver (a 4yr old male Manx) - both fixed.

Graciela started urinating outside the box late last year. I figured it was stress related because I moved several times last year. It took her losing 4 lbs without dieting (she was obese) for me to take her to the vet. Found out she's diabetic. She's now on insulin and doing quite well.

@kerrylamanac - You need to get your cat fixed. Immediately. A cat that isn't even a year old shouldn't be having kittens, much less be on a second litter. She's darting out the door because she's in heat, and she's peeing on your bed because she's stressed. While your at it, get the kitten fixed, too.

You need at least 3 litter boxes if you have 2 cats. The rule of thumb is 1 box per cat + 1 extra, and they all need to be scooped twice per day. Do you like to go to the bathroom when there's a turd already floating in the toilet? Neither does your cat. Also, litter boxes and food/water bowls need to be in different rooms, or if they must be in the same room, as far away from each other as possible. Cats don't want to eat dinner in their bathroom.

To keep her off the counters, run 3 strips of double-sided tape, each about an inch apart, down the length of the counter's edge. Leave it there for a few weeks. Cats don't like anything sticking to their paws, so she'll cease jumping up there to avoid the feeling.

• hehe_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I would suggest rubbing the cats nose in the pee and telling it no and pop it in the but. Dont beat it relentlessly lol just punish it. If the cat associats dislike from the reaction he gets from you after peeing on the bed they will most likely stop. Thats what i did with my cat. I punished him for it i refused to shrug it off. I rubbed his whole face in his pee and poped him for it. He has not peed on there since. of course soon after his punishment i had to give him a bath but shortly after his punishment and then bath he seemed to say he was sorry and started sucking up lol. of course i know why the cat peed on my bed, cats will do it out of stress, either new house situation or new family member ect. My cat is an outdoor cat that comes in at night to sleep and eat. recently he got into a cat fight and got injured so i have been making him stay inside so he can get better faster with his meds and stuff. He is not used to being inside especially because i have a 2 and 4 year old so that has been causing him stress enough to pee on the bed. But no matter what the sercomstances are an animal needs to be punished and let know that you dont approve of there actions. and be sure to always give them a little more attention and love when they are stressed because that helps also.

• RatchettRN
    12 years ago

My son moved in with his two part Siamese, ~2yr old sisters. They both have very different personalities. I've had cats all my life and never had any random peeing on the bed until now. We put in a cat door so we could put the litter boxes on the patio. Took a little while and a little more patience than I had, but between the 2 of us we got them using the cat door. We have 2 cat boxes, one with Fresh step crystals which I love - although it is expensive. As long as it's scooped frequently, it doesn't need to be changed more than once every 2-3 weeks (which, at the end of the day, might make it less expensive than the cheap ones). Anyways Lexi and Mitzi have picked their respective adults/rooms to hang out in. Lexi is
    the only one that pees on beds. One night it was because I was just dozing off when she went over to the patio door in my room and batted the vertical blinds. I knew she wanted to go out but I didn't want to get out of bed when she can go to the dining room patio door which has the cat door. I also had a pile of clean laundry on my bed. 2 strikes against me she jumped on my bed and sat at the end if the bed just staring at me. Then she turned around and started "covering" her pee. I could not believe it. But it was obvious why she did it. In general, I think it is probably a normal occurrence every 6 months or so when they don't like something (vacation, new housemates/pets, changes, moves, just plain anger, threatened by real or percieved real "danger," etc). I really have the feeling though that if you do not get rid of the scent immediately and COMPLETELY, they will continue to "mark" the same place and even other similar places.

• kobay0107
    12 years ago

misses cat has been peeing dispite having a clean litter tray. the damm thing does it every 3-4 weeks, but she only does it where the misses has been,misses sits on the sofa one night, goes to bed and guess what i find in the morning,cat pee on the sofa. the misses has switched places with me on the sofa before and guess what? the cat pee'd overnight where the misses was sat. the litter tray is in the spare room, and we have had to wrap the spare bed in plastic cuz that was the dam cats favourite place to pee. if i leave our bedroom door open she will pee on our bed. she is an indoor cat (iv seen too many cats get killed on the roads and dont want that to happen to her) the cat gets plenty of love, loads of toys, she is 3 yrs old. she gets plenty of exercise cuz 6 months ago we got a kitten (she was pee'ing long before we got the kitten) and he keeps her running about.it is a vile smell and i always disenfect afterwards, thankfully we have a large leather corner sofa so its wipe clean, but we have a throw over it and washing that is becoming a regular thing.

• Mokuren
    12 years ago

My cat is little over a year and a half old now. I found her in the backyard at around 5 weeks of age. Despite her young age I never had any trouble with her and she always neatly used her litterbox. Since last july or something she has started peeing on bathroom rugs, my bed and my 2 by 2 meter carpet. I took her to the vet and it turned out she had a urinary infection and bladderstones. I cleaned everything up and my cat was put on antibiotics and a special diet food. My vet advised us too keep using the diet food to prevent her from getting the infection again. however after checking here urine again, and hearing that she was completely healthy now the peeing on my bed continued. At first she'd only do it when I'm not around but now she's even doing it when someone is still in bed. Luckily for me I got plasticized covers on the bed as soon as this started happening so I'm only having to wash those now but she's doing this every other day orso. I considered cleaning her litterboxes more often but I already do so every other day orso, and she's just by herself. I know daily cleaning is adviced but she has 3 boxes which she all uses so I honestly doubt they would be too dirty to use after a day. But I guess it's still worth a try so I will start doing that on a daily basis.
    My boyfriend is also quite fed up with the cat and she's now been banned from the bedroom. I'm afraid she's just gonna go back to the bathroom rug though, so we got a trainingspray that should be sprayed on the object she pees on and is supposed to prevent it from happening again. So we'll see what happens I guess.

I have to say though, it was good for me to read through this thread and know that I"m not alone with these troubles, I love my kitty very much but she's driving me quite mad.

• OverCats
    12 years ago

This is my 4th cat and she has started peeing on the bed. EVERY cat I have ever had does the same thing and there was NEVER a medical reason. Every change in the house sets them off. Going on vacation and leaving them with a sitter, boarding them, taking them to the vet, having a baby, getting another pet, doing work on the house You name it eventually every cat will do it.

I have tried everything and nothing works and once it starts it only gets worse.

Down or synthetic it doesn't matter. And for everyone sending down comforters to the cleaners you don't have to they can go in the washer and the dryer. Throw in 2 tennis balls to help fluff them back up.

The only product I have found that will actually get rid of the odor of cat pee is
    called Pureayre you can google it and order it on line. It has to actually touch anywhere the cat urine has touched but it destroys the odor for good.
    You can soak the spot on the comforter all the way thru and it will kill the smell. It saved my mattress as well.

I wasn't so lucky when one of my other cats peed the bed I had to throw it out.

I will NEVER own another cat again. If you aren't prepared to deal with this problem don't have a cat.

• dlchase6630
    12 years ago

I have a problem with my male cat spraying on my bed too!!! He started after my female had a litter of kittens. He also sprays on my dogs blankets.

I'm pretty sure it is due to the kittens but they are 4 months old now. I thought it would stop. I'm hoping getting him fixed will help.

Does any one else have an experience with this? I hate the get rid of him but the kittens are not going anywhere.

• mike127
    12 years ago

well do you mean that your comforter It's dark red) (or is the cats pee dark red) what one is it i would like to know your cat is spraying thats how the girl cats spray mine does it all the time but i yelled at my cat for doing that and she stopped doing it and i put her in the litter box and i said thats where you pee or spray and she don't do it anymore

• shelberta
    11 years ago

I recently adopted a male kitten. He is about 10 weeks old. The first time he peed on my bed, it was right after I'd had the comforter (down ALTERNATIVE) and duvet cleaned. This was only days after being adopted. Then last night he did it again - again, right after I'd just had everything cleaned. Luckily we have one of those nice mattress protectors from Sit N' Sleep. The first time he did it, it was about 10 minutes after he pooped in his litter box upstairs (I live in a loft and don't have the option of shutting the door). I was upset because he tracked some of his feces onto my pillow and it stunk really bad. So I spent about 10 minutes cleaning everything up. In the meantime, he peed on the bed. I think my cleaning around his box really stressed him out, because I was pretty stressed too.

Then last night, my husband and I needed some alone time. A few minutes after he pooped, it smelled pretty bad so I suggested putting him in our walk in closet for about 10 minutes because he likes it in there. Well, he cried and cried for 5 minutes and I felt terrible. So we let him out and he peed on my bed through 5 layers and right onto my foot. My husband was pretty upset and stuck his nose in it. I had to explain that kitties don't respond to negative reinforcement. So then this morning I put Maslow in the litter box a couple of times and he would scratch around, but not go. I could tell the litter was a little bit dirty because sometimes the clumps are too small and go right through the slots in the scoop (I use the Scoop Away litter because that's what his foster mom used). Anyway, I changed the litter, used MORE litter this time, and BAM he peed right away! I petted him and told him good job. Then about half an hour later he peed in his litter box again. I was pretty happy. So he might just be one of those finicky cats that like a super clean box, he might be a little bit territorial, and he was probably pissed off at my husband for putting him in the closet.

That was the second time he probably felt punished for going poop. I won't be giving him anything but praise for it from now on. It seems like he likes to poop and then pee 10 minutes later. One thing too was that this one time he peed right outside of his cat carrier. We've been using it as a step stool up to the bed. I want him to be comfortable around it so he isn't scared of being in it for trips to the vet. But the litter box I had upstairs was nearly the same shape. I think this confused him and that's why he went right outside his cage. I have since purchased another of the Booda dome boxes and he seemed better with it until he peed on the bed last night. I haven't seen him go in front of his cage again, so that's good. I plan to get the enzyme cleaner and a black light, but I can be a little OCD when things are gross, so we'll see how this all plays out. He is super affectionate and playful, and cleans himself a lot. He's not neutered yet - needs to be 2.5 lbs. first. I hope this helps any new cat owners who are also not very familiar with kittens like me. I'm always learning though and so is Mazzie (I hope).

• desmond123
    11 years ago

Your cat if female may be peeing on your bed due to a uti. My vet said a cat will associate its litter box with pain and choose a place to pee that comforts her. If a boy cat it could be urinary stones. My cat got penicillin and an anti-inflammatory shot to help with the pain. I purchased a new cat box and got by Pet Organics a no mark spray to clean up the spot and it worked so well my girl did not like getting onto the bed for a while. It is really not normal to have your cat peeing on your things you should bring the animal to a vet and your animal could be in pain. Best of luck to all of you.

• socats
    11 years ago

I just want to say we had this problem with our female kitten every since she was brought home. Everyone says not to punish but after trying everything, including vet visits, work ups, and behavioral methods I was on my last leg and if she peed one more time she was gone.
    SO.... the last time she peed, I grabbed her by the scruff and stuck her face in it for like 15 seconds. I held her to my face, still by the scruff, and sternly told her if she did it again she was gone, promised. We had about 3 feet of snow outside so I opened the door and threw her in the snow. She never, ever peed out of the catbox again and is a happy little kitty. Don't say it was cruel. It probably was unpleasant for her, but she did understand not to do it again.

• Menagerieof3
    11 years ago

I need some serious help! My fiance and I adopted a kitten when she was about 8 weeks old. She was found behind a restaurant and needed a home. We took her in and she was a great addition to our home. We had a male, spayed, Siamese/Ocicat mix that about 6 months at the time and a German Shepherd Dog. They all get along great!

Our problem comes in...
    The new addition, female Ocicat...She's very sweet. Loves attention from anyone who will give it to her. Sleeps on your lap. Gets lots and lots and lots of attention. On the flip side of that, she tends to be the dominant one of the household pets. I have to correct her by shooing her away to get her off the make she usually keeps pinned on his back , biting his ears on the . .floor. So, little sweetie isn't always so sweet. Unless you're taking about the dog. She loves the dog. Can't get enough of him. It's pretty funny, really.
    Anyway...about 2 months after we brought her home she thought it would be a good idea to begin peeing on our bed. She always pees on my fiance or his side. It's always around 2am...so imagine how happy I am to have to jump up and strip the bed in the middle of the night! Oh, let's not forget all the laundry and vinegar I've used to wash my comforter 100 times. There is no method to her madness. She's got a clean bill of health, picky about litter box being clean...so we keep it clean. We got to where we would clouds her out of the room aht. Instead of peeing at that point, we got screaming all night to let her in.
    We just moved and have stuff tock to the same plan of keeping her out of the room at night because the first night we didn't, she peed again, on the bed. So a few months have gone by and my fiance has been gone all week so I thought I'd try to see if she'd survive a night not peeing on my bed. She didn't for about 3 days. Just walked all over me all night, which was a bit annoying, but oh well. Anyway...I just changed my bed sheets today back to the ones we had in our old home...(same comforter the entire time, just put the old sheds and duvet back on) and low and behold I'm not asleep (fianc�e is gone) for 30 minutes and I wake up to her scratching to cover it up. She peed on my bed again! It's winter and she ours on the warm stuff at 2am! Oh and another thing, neither me or my other half are pleasant when rudely woken up. I'm not going to sugar coat it....I was LIVID! I'M SO SICK OF THIS CAT (now 6 months old) GETTING ALL THE ATTENTION, DEMANDING FOOD AND GETTING IT WHEN SHE WANTS IT, BEING MISS DOMINANT TO MY OTHER CAT, AND PEEING ON MYYYYYY BED! I'm so angry at this point I truly felt if I had my hands on her too long I was going to hurt her. I finally caught her after moving all furniture at 2 in the morning, rubbed her snotty little face on it, hissed in her face lettinvg her how INCREDIBLY angry I was and that she had, yet again, peed on MY bed. She then got put in her crate the rest of the night whole three other cat gets to play. She can watch. Maybe she'll pee in there and she'll know why I'm so mad she does it to me! Really though, I'm so angry at this point, she's in her crate to avoid me crossing paths with her right now. The last thing I want I'd for her to jump up and want to be pet while in fuming over her peeing again. This is crazy. I'd give her away but I'm certain if she did this to anyone like she does us, like starting at you and squatting right there and darting off like she's so proud and you won't catch her...someone else will take her to a shelter or let her go in the wild. I love this cat. She is attached to me at the hip, but I CANNOT tolerate this anymore! Help!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Menagerie, I think you need to toss your old duvet and sheets. The fact she didn't pee until you put those back on says the pee odor is still there. Vinegar really doesn't remove the enzymes of urine and altho you don't smell it, a cat can. Most likely the odor is now permanent in the fabric so I doubt treating it with something like Nature's Miracle will save the linens.

I also think this is a cat you can't trust in your bedroom so you shouldn't let her in. You really can't be upset at her since it was your decision to let her back in the bedroom after months of no problems.

Is it possible she's hungry at 2am and is demanding food? My cat would romp thru the bedroom and try to play in the bed during the night but once I started leaving food out for her the behavior stopped.
    If feeding doesn't help and the screaming continues, I'd suggest shutting her in a room in the opposite end of the house with food, water, toys.

• Juliecloud
    11 years ago

I just thought I'd share that I have a little Siamese mix, 6 years old, who goes through spells of peeing on my bed. I just brought in my old bed from the garage, which is the most comfortable bed in the world, and of course, she had peed on it.

I gave her some Bach Rescue Remedy for Pets, and so far, it's been working.

I was wondering what would be the best enzyme cleaner for my mattress. I put baking soda on the spots, which helped a lot, and cleaned the sheets, which still have a bit of smell.

• Sugar-and-Spice
    10 years ago

I am convinced that my cat is trying to communicate something to me. She is a kiten about 5 months old. I never had a problem with her about using the cat box.

Since I brought her home from the vet after being spayed, she has been peeing on my bed. In exactly the spot I sleep. It is a Calif King bed, so she could have had the whole bed to pee on.

The first time it hapened the comforter was pulled back and I watched her as she hunched her back and peed while looking at me. Accordig to the vet she has no medical issues to cause this.

The same thing has happened several more times in exactly where I lay to sleep. She is a very happy playful kitten.

In reading this thread and observing her behavior, I am convinced that there is something to the idea that she is trying to express some message to me. When an animal chooses a specific persons clothing or bed to pee in the same spot every time, there must be something that it is trying to express.

It should be noted that there was no problem until she returned from the vet after being spayed. I wish cat behavior was as well understood as dog behavior.

We need a "Cat Whisperer" program. LOL

• allykatts11
    10 years ago

I found this post because my 3 month old kitten just peed on my bed, right in front of me. After reading what everyone had to say, I'm thinking it's because when I came home, I was doing some chores instead of my usual playing with him. He's not fixed yet (too small), and I haven't seen him do this before. I'm taking him to the vet in a few hours, but since I read all of these posts, I thought I'd share some things with everyone.

My other cat is a 6 year old spayed female. I never had an issue with her, until we got another cat. She had lived with other cats before (I foster), but those were usually kittens, and this was a male who was her age, and 3 times her size (she's very small for her age). They shared a litter box because we only had a small apartment, and she started urinating on the bathmat right in front of the box. She would poo in the box, but never pee. I got two smaller boxes, and she was fine after that.

To address the indoor/outdoor debate...I live out in the country with my family. My mom has two cats (both 7) that are indoor/outdoor. My girl that I previously mentioned, although always an indoor cat, quickly became both. Her choice, not mine. I also had a younger female cat who was only indoors for the first year of her life because she hadn't been spayed yet (purely laziness on my part, but at least I made sure she didn't get preggers). After she was fixed, she started going out with the rest of the cats. A year later, she was hit by a car in front of my house, on a dead end street that sees very little traffic. So just a warning, even in the country cars can be a major threat.

My last cat was about 11 months old, spayed, and had always had issues with upper respiratory infections, but had never peed outside of her box. Out of nowhere, she started peeing basically whenever she got up. She would be napping, then walk a couple feet and just pop a squat. I took her to the vet, and he "felt around" and decided she had another URI and prescribed her antibiotics. After a few days on these, she was feeling better and her other symptoms were pretty much gone, but the urinating was getting worse. I was starting to get frustrated, so I would take her to her box every half hour, and she would use it just fine, but when I was at work or sleeping, it was back to the carpet. Then about a week later, I woke up and she couldn't stand up. If she put any pressure on her back legs she would howl in pain. I rushed her to the vet, and he said that she had heart failure, and a blood clot in her hip (yes, the same vet that she had seen just 9 days before). She had a seizure while I was there, and he said I had to put her down, she was in massive pain and probably wouldn't make it through the night. It was horrible, and it broke my heart. So just as a warning to everyone, please see your vet! And if it continues, go back!!!

• MizAnnThrope
    10 years ago

Seriously, people?? Your KITTENS are trying to tell you something? They're mad at you, etc? NOT POSSIBLE!!!! Sheesh. Dogs and cats do not act out of spite. They are not capable of having this emotion.

• RedDragoniv
    10 years ago

OK not to repeat things but, my now one year old kitten has just started peeing on the my bed and also attacking a nice calm dog that has been visiting our house since she was born,and who visits 3 days a week. Even on some off weeks when the pup does not visit she still pees.

This all happened about a month after she was fixed. Nothing has changed in her life. She started to go out in the yard ( that is new ) and she loves it, and I thought she would just go outside,like all my other cats in the past, but NO. She will then come inside to go.I got her medicine in case of a UTI. I am changing the sheets and comforter at least once a week because of her. I do NOT have down products. She also has been peeing other places besides her litterbox in the house I have noticed. She has grown up with a dog who is aggressive and bites her if he catches her, but that is nothing new.
    Last night was the last straw for me when she peed in the bed while WE were sleeping in it!!!!! That means me, her and the Chi. Its always in a different place on the bed. I guess I will have to put her on meds, although that didnt work with the dog. He ended up biting me twice on the same finger and had to have surgery. These are my children, but my God they are a trial. I have never had such problems in my life with animals. I got her because I wanted some joy in my life not more grief!!! I can't bring myself to give her away, but I also cant have her destroy my house which she is doing to new furniture and mattress. If any vets out there have any real suggestions I am dying to hear them!!!!

• Rhea2
    10 years ago

My cat has been peeing on my bed frequently. She has been on medication for a upper repertory infection she got from a kitten we adopted. It all started when my niece went with her dad for a week. That day she peed on her bed. We cleaned it up. I have been cleaning the litter box every day. So after my niece came back home she stopped for a week. She started it up again after I changed the litter to a different brand a cheaper brand. Went back to the old brand and it still continued only now its on my sisters bed and mine. She stopped for a while after she realized she could no longer access my room or my sisters. Then after about a week I left my door open and no pee well that was just a fluke. The next day I went to bed and laid in urine not realizing it until is soaked through my shorts. Then we got a kitten and she was occupied for a while. now she doesn't like him and continues to pee on my bed only. Keep in mind we have cleaned all the sheets and mattresses with pet deodorizers and remedies even pet carpet cleaner. We took in another kitten and I accidentally left my door open for 5 minutes and she peed everywhere on my sheets and pillow. I was down to my last sheet. I don't have anything else on my bed other than a sheet I sleep with and my pillow just the mattress. It gets really exhausting after a while to clean my bed almost every day. I recently changed the litter to a more expensive brand she doesn't like obviously. Her urine smells horrible. I really dislike her more and more every single time she pees on my bed. She is a Bengal and I don't feel comfortable letting her loose outside unsupervised let alone in an enclosure all day and all night. I'm running out of options. I have kicked the kittens outside hoping that would stop her from peeing but it was a failed attempt. I cant afford a vet trip right now as I have just gotten a new car and have many expensive bills to pay that takes up my whole paycheck plus. My whole house smells like one big litter box because of Rhea. She is the only cat that does this my other cat I bought watches her but does not follow her unacceptable behavior. I do not yell at her or punish her I rarely even catch her in the act of peeing on my bed. But this has to stop. I'm trying to save up the money to buy her a new litter box that's automated who can help me clean up her litter box when I am unable to.

• junebug1961
    10 years ago

You really do need to take your cat to the vet. Call around and see if you can find a vet who will work out a payment plan with you. You can't know for certain that this is simply a behavioral issue until you have her checked out.

• Angela Oakley
    8 years ago

I have one female cat who this year is 14 years old, and another female cat who is 5 this year. They are both spoiled rotten some kind of bad, and both are Mommy's girls, and are terribly jealous of one another. They both sleep with me regularly, but now after all of these years in the last 3 days the both of them have peed my bed where I lay, I suppose it is territorial.

• biwa45
    8 years ago

I don't know why, but suddenly HOUZZ has sent me a link to this particular thread, so here are my latest thoughts on the matter. I know most of this has been covered already, but here goes:

(1) Has your cat been neutered? If not (or if it has been, but late in life, which--in some cases--doesn't stop the cat's urge to mark its territory), that may be the problem. Get it neutered or spayed so that it will no longer have the impulse to mark its territory.

(2) Have you had the cat checked by tests at the vet's to see if it has a urinary infection or some other health problem? A cat who finds urinating painful, or who "can't wait" because it feels sick, may decide to try other places in the house (other places than its litter box) in the hopes that the discomfort will stop.

(3) Emotional upset causes bad behavior. Has the cat been under stress of some kind? (a new member in the family, someone who visits that the cat is not comfortable with, a new pet in the home, and/or, worst of all, someone who gets all upset when the cat does anything wrong and yells at it or punishes it--especially when the "wrong" was doing its business in the wrong place? (Keep in mind, too, that once the deed is done, a cat or dog is only confused by being scolded later. It may ACT guilty, but that is not because it recognizes that it did wrong. It is just reacting to its owner's angry voice.
    That last one alone--its owner's showing upset--can turn a cat into a regular offender. But you can still change and save the situation: Just do what I mention in (4) and always act calm. If you catch the cat in the act, you can say, "No, no!" in a firm, but not nasty way, and as soon as it finishes, put it in the litter box, saying, pleasantly, "This is the place. Good boy/girl!" then leave it alone.

(4) If your cat has done its business in the wrong place, make sure that you have removed the scent before you ever let the cat near that quilt, or whatever, again. Use an enzymatic product, and if you want to make doubly sure, give the now-clean place a spritz of cologne or cheap perfume.
    Cats are clean animals to keep in the home precisely because they only want to pee in a place where they have peed before--which means that the scent means a lot to them. With most of my cats, whether obtained as adults or as kittens, I started off by making sure that they used the litter box the first time they peed in the house. (If I got a kitten from the place where it was born, I got a bit of its own urine scent or that of its mother on a bit of tissue or cotton batting and put that in the litter box, and I have NEVER had even the tiniest kitten make a mistake after that. The only cats that peed in the wrong place were sick or so old that their minds were fuzzy. I have one like that right now, and I keep puppy pee pads here and there in places where I think he is likely to slip up. He is worth much, much more to me than the money and time and effort that it takes to keep the house clean.

(5) If you are the sort of person who takes out your frustrations on your pets or who simply cannot abide their making mistakes, or who doesn't LOVE them, then probably you shouldn't have them. Your attitude may come from the way you were brought up, but I am sorry for both your pets and you because you are missing out on one of life's great joys.

• biwa45
    8 years ago

I should have made it clear that even if there is someone in the family who doesn't like cats, so long as that person treats the cat with respect and doesn't yell at it or punish it, so long as there is another person who DOES love the cat, the cat can be happy. My home is like that.

• biwa45
    8 years ago

I respect your wish to not neuter your cat. No doubt you have some good reasoning behind that, so I won't try to persuade you. However, you should be aware that there is most likely nothing that would have a chance of making him quit this marking behavior, unless it happens to be a temporary reaction to a temporary change in your home that is upsetting him, or else an actual medical problem. Have you had the vet check on that possibility?

Here is my personal experience with a champion sprayer!

Long ago I got an late-middle-aged former famous stud cat and kept him as a pet. Up till then, at a large breeder's facility, he had lived in a cage for most of his life, with (probably his only interest or pleasure) visits from female cats, and when I got him, he went around spraying literally every 5 minutes or so. I made him a little sort of a man's bathing suit that fastened along his spine with velcro. Fortunately he never tried to take it off. The velcro'd opening led to a round hole for his tail, and I put sanitary napkins inside the bathing suit, placed appropriately. Although it was a nuisance to keep changing the napkins, it did spare our home from the strong odor of male cat urine.

But he seemed to want so much to be a real pet, able to sleep in my bed and sit on my lap to be cuddled--which he didn't get much of while wearing what amounted to diapers that might leak--that we finally had him neutered. I had doubts whether it would help, after his lifetime of being a stud and spraying all the time, but he did stop spraying rather quickly after the op. After which, he delighted in having the run of the house, got along well with my other cats, and years later he died in my bed, which had become one of his favorite places.

So making a little bathing suit for your cat might partially solve your problem. I am afraid that it is probably that, or neutering. Unless there happens to be a new medicine on the market that can curb the urge (and I haven't heard of any). Even then, you probably would not want to do anything that might have harmful side effects. I hope things work out for you. The more crazy the spraying makes your family, the more upset poor Puffy may be getting, which will only intensify the undesirable behavior.

• parczel
    8 years ago

It could have been that because the cat peed on your bed initially, that the scent was still there even when you cleaned it and couldn't smell it yourself... My cat had a urinary tract issue ones and was straining to pee in different spots in my bedroom--he peed on my backpack, and I put it through the wash a couple times, with detergent and vinegar and I can't smell it, but I can't leave my backpack on the floor anymore because when I do, he comes over and starts smelling it very curiously and then starts to paw at it like he's in a little box and gets ready to pee on it if I don't stop him. There were a couple of spots on the floor like that where he had peed a few drops during the day he was straining to urinate every 20 minutes--I had to use an enzymatic cleaner on the floor before he stopped sniffing around those areas like he was gonna pee there again.

• hawkinsml
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have an one year old cat, has been peeing on my bed once every few days, he only does it when I'm not at home, so when I come home and just want to sleep, I cannot, because once again I have to wash my sheets. I grit my teeth and say nothing. I take him to the vet and once a week now. My vet says that he is fine. But he pees on my bed at least 3 times a week, he still uses his liter box. I even bought a new bed yesterday thinking maybe the smell is still there and thats why, but no he did it again. I have 3liter boxes for him all self cleaning and I change them out. I do not see any reason why he is still doing thing. I havent switch liter brands or food since the day I got him. Can someone please give me an answer that has nothing to do with UTIs or having to have blood work done? I just took home to the vet yesterday and he is in good health.

• hawkinsml
    8 years ago

I have tried calming colors, sprays that are supposed to help them not go in the same place twice. Even thought i didnt want to, i have even tried paprika. I might just have to stop letting him sleep with me, and just keep my door to my bedroom closed at all times. But I would really not want to do that.

• biwako_of_abi
    8 years ago

hawkinsmi: I understand. To me, one of the benefits of having a cat is sharing a bed with it; I always sleep better with a cat by my side.

I had a cat once that peed on cushions when my husband and I ever stayed away overnight. He was a wonderful, loving and intelligent cat, and I feel sure that he was doing it because of separation anxiety.

We happened to add a small kitten to our family when the male was a young adult, and after a week or so of batting her on the head and hissing at her, he became great friends with her and never again peed where he shouldn't. He also stopped licking to death the artificial hair on a doll I had.

Your solution might be to get a kitten for your cat so that he won't be lonely. It should be a young kitten, not one approaching 5 or 6 months of age, for instance, because the trying to introduce a grown or nearly grown cat when there is already a cat in residence can lead to worse problems.

• hawkinsml
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What if I already have an 4months old kitten? I got them at the same time, I knew between classes and work I would be gone most of the day, so I got two cats. It's not her doing this, she cannot jump up on my bed yet, it's a bit to tall, i have to put her on it every night. So it has to be him, they are both fixed. Any other thoughts? I really appreciate it.

• biwako_of_abi
    8 years ago

I wish I could think of something that would do the trick, but your cat has me stumped. If he only pees on the bed when you are away, I would try enzymatic products to remove the smell from bedding, then spray some cheap perfume (or the like--maybe cologne or aftershave would do) wherever the peeing had been done. That worked for the cat we had when first married, who used to pee on the bed during the night--reported on that earlier in this thread. (But in her case, it was just the stress of adjusting to having a new person in the family.)

And it seems like a no-brainer to close the door to the bedroom and not let either cat in unless you are there and about to go to bed, since you did say that the male only pees when you are out. If the cat never soils the bed when you are home and he is shut out when you aren't there, you wouldn't have sheets to wash. Believe me, I know what a chore THAT is. My very elderly cat that died several months ago became more and more incontinent, and I had a lot of washing to do, till finally I was sleeping on a sheet on top of a plastic tablecloth and the other half of the bed had puppy sheets scotch-taped to the sheet along the length of it, in case the cat suddenly got the urge to pee on his way back from grabbing a bite to eat on the old coffee table I had pushed right up against the bed for him. Then, of course, if he did pee on one of the pads, I had to get up and replace it. Fortunately, he never peed on top of my quilts and blankets.

It must be an awfully high bed if a 4-month-old kitten can't haul herself up onto it with her claws. Some of mine have been hellions that could leap and claw their way anywhere, including, painfully, up my back. Have your cats been declawed, maybe? Just curious because that could be a factor in the peeing problem. But of course, declawing can't be reversed, so if that is the root of the problem, it would take a vet to see what could be done to ease any pain that might exist. I know little about declawing, but did read somewhere that there can be residual pain.

For what it's worth, although I know some cats rebel at using a new kind of kitty litter, I found that mine seemed happier after I switched to one of those that consisted of sawdust made into pellets. It really concealed the smell (at least to a human nose, so possibly a bit more acceptable to a cat), and I could tell what part had been peed upon because the pellets would break up into sawdust again. The two cats I had then didn't seem to mind sharing one litter box at all. I guess I should be grateful, having read here what people go through trying to keep 2 or 3 boxes clean all the time.

As a desperate last resort, you might see if your vet could help with some medicine to calm the cat, in case he is nervous. I noticed a few people here mentioning medications. About 1/4 of the way down this thread, rivkadr mentions Clomicalm, and I think other mentioned other drugs. With medicinal help for a while, your cat might get out of his bad habit.

As one cat lover to another, I wish you the best, and I'm sorry not to be able to offer any better solution to your problem. Hope that either the cat changes his ways (I know it IS possible, though by no means guaranteed), or that keeping the bedroom door shut will work.

• hawkinsml
    8 years ago

I have those nail covers on them, they work pretty well, I just replace them when one falls off, so they cannot use there nails. I know that some people do declaw, but I just don't have the heart to do it to them. So far he hasn't had any repeats. I put a fitted sheet down, then sprinkled cayenne, chipotle pepper, paprika down on it, and then put two more fitted sheets on top of that. Cats smell before they pee, so I'm hoping that they smell will make home stop. Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll update it this works.

• biwako_of_abi
    8 years ago

You deserve praise for feeling unable to have your cats declawed. I would never, never do it, either. The way I got around the scratching problem was (in addition to having one or two of those horizontal scratch pads made of layers and layers of paper cartons with a bit of catnip sprinkled on available at all times--my cats never liked vertical scratch pads/posts, etc.: too unstable) to pin net bags with orange or lemon peels on furniture they showed signs of wanting to scratch, clash pot covers together when a cat was scratching an important rug (especially effective if you hang around unobtrusively when the rug makes its first appearance in the house, so you can make it seem as if "the universe," not you, is objecting to their scratching it), and to allow them to scratch to their hearts' content on a few unimportant scatter rugs and one old upholstered kitchen chair.

Is it possible that your cat feels frustrated because of the nail covers? That may be the secret to your male cat's misbehavior. I simply clipped my cats' nails whenever they began to get sharp-looking (avoiding cutting so deep that I impact the ''quick," which would cause pain and bleeding). The cats hated having them clipped, but any stress from it went away as soon as I let them down off the table where I did it.

• mcooley53
    7 years ago

Some of these comments are so sad, you DO NOT give your cat away or kill your cat for peeing on the bed.. What is wrong with you people ? I have 2 cats , female and male , both spayed and nuetured , we rescued them both from the shelter ... Jozie (female) is 2 and Buddah (male) just turned 1 .. Buddah pees the bed , we took him to the vet and he's fine , I clean their liter box twice daily ... We have 3 liter boxes for them , and haven't changed the liter , did recently change their food about a month ago ... But I would never get rid of my babies because one has a small issue ! Come on people ...

• Marigold Flower
    7 years ago

WOW! What a thread! Makes me realise how blessed I am and have been in decades of cats and never a pee on my bed. Although it was only when I got a dog that I started letting the cats on my bed ( There is logic in that! Small cottage and needed to keep the cats and dog separate so my bedroom window became their way in and out) But never a pee-sin.. Only time recently there has been a problem was last late summer when I introduced two new rescues and then my missing cat came home.. I had litter trays eveyrwhere but even so when I came to seek a winter jersey in a box full of clothes ( minmal furniture here) the whole lot was saturated with cat pee. Thank heaven for the washing machine and sweet fresh air. After that I cut the trays down to two and confined the two newbies to downstairs and my older pair to my bedroom and that works fine. It was just being new... The new downstairs boy is a character and if he does not like the state of the tray, politely poos neatly in a corner. Smiling at me! My older boy has a way of peeeing a river in his tray then asking to go out... If any of the cats strays in peeing it is my fault! The cost of cat litter is totally beyond my slender means; used to use newspapers torn up but now get a huge sack of garden mulch and bring in or but sand, both of which I wash at the outdoor tap and dry and reuse. I have to admit that I almost never see the vet; I was advised I need not vaccinate as I am so far away from civilisation and most of the cats are indoors and i have an innate skill re if they need help. But then I am deep in rural Ireland and things are different here. NB I never see a doctor either except in dire need. Oh I love having at least ine cat abed with me, but it is always only my older ones who sleep rather than play clawed bedmice with me or bounce on my head... I am old and need my rest and my older girl has a wnderful way of burrowing under the covers and curling up purring in the curve of my belly. Sweet cats of my old age PS I HATE declawing. But you have made me feel very spoilt! Thank you and I hope you sort the ... issues... soon

• biwako_of_abi
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

LOL, oh yes, Marigold, (SORRY! How did I get your name wrong? Old age....) you are blessed indeed! I may have mentioned that the only time I had a cat pee on my bed was when I was newly married and my cat objected to a man being in "our" (my and the cat's) bed, and the bedding on top happened to be a beautiful silk comforter. Ah well, she did get over it, after I had washed the dirty spots several times and dowsed them with a cologne to cover any residual scent. That cat went on to live a long, happy life, dying of cancer at 15.

Of course, my last cat, who died of old age at 24, did wet the bed numerous times, but I don't count that as misdeeds. He had a degree of dementia and also just couldn't "hold it" any more. I simply taped and pinned puppy training pads to the areas where he sometimes made mistakes, and they were easy enough to throw away and replace. It was a queen-sized bed, and the cat never peed in the half of it where he and I slept, only the part where he would climb back into bed after eating (on a lower table beside the bed), or, more rarely, on that table itself, unable to wait.

Like you, Marigold, I am in my old age, and I can imagine how hard it must be to have to wash and dry the mulch or sand, the more so, as it rains a lot in Ireland. (Wish we could have some of that rain here in California, U.S.; we have been in a drought for several years.) In recent years, I also found the cost of kitty litter prohibitive, so I reverted to the system I used for all my cats when I was young. I wonder if something like it could help you.

In the country where we were living, the stores sold plastic 2-part dish drainers. The top part had a strong plastic mesh and there was a space of a couple of inches between it and the bottom, where the water would collect. I trained the cats to use one of those drainers, and since I could easily empty and wash them out, one was enough, even when we had up to 4 cats.

Where I live now, the only thing like that has too little space between the upper and lower parts, so on two sides, I fastened some plastic (PVC) pipes underneath the rim of the top part of the drainer to raise it up and leave more room for urine to collect. I continued to use the kitty litter the cats were used to, but gradually reduced the amount until they were so used to the drainer that I could stop using the litter altogether. The cats may not have been best pleased, but it was a relief to me, not only cost-wise, but also because I didn't have to keep cleaning up the litter they would track into the rest of the room.

It occurs to me now that I might even have been able to use two deep rectangular pans such as are sold for dishwashing now, and just make a lot of holes in the top part and raise it up above the other part with piping as I did for the real dish drainers. If the holes were rough-edged and held urine odors, a spray of chlorine bleach and water would solve that problem; then rinse (maybe even neutralizing with a vinegar and water spray) so the cats wouldn't be in contact with bleach.

I envy you for being able to still have pets and sleep with your cat. How I miss mine! Both of them always slept in my bed, the older one often right on top of my stomach or legs. But my husband, who was never very fond of animals and kindly put up with cats for many years, has declared that he doesn't want any more, so I feel I should go along with that.

I wish you many more happy years with your pets.

• Marina Pilz
    7 years ago

My kitten 10 months never did this her litter is the same as is her food so why all of a sudden did she pee on my bed

• biwako_of_abi
    7 years ago

When a kitten or cat that has never made a "mistake" of that sort suddenly pees on a bed, you need to think, "There must be something wrong." You are right to first consider what recent changes in its life could be upsetting it. So, in addition to litter and food, which you note haven't changed, please check the following list.

(1) If none of the following questions make you think Yes and you
    can't think of any other relevant changes, then you should get the
    kitten to a vet soon because it could have a health condition that is
    causing the problem. For instance, a cat with a urinary infection will
    experience a stinging sensation when it pees, and it could blame the
    place it pees in for the pain, which could lead it to try out other
    locations.

(2) Has some new, possibly unpleasant to a cat, fragrance appeared in its surroundings? There are odors that people love, but that could upset a cat. (Citrus scent is one, and there are others.)

(3) Has a new person or pet joined the family? Is there anyone in the family that might be annoying the cat? (For instance, a young child might just be "playing" with it, but to the cat, those attentions could be upsetting.) Has a family member that the cat is fond of moved away (child gone to college, for instance)? The presence of a "new" cat may also upset the current resident cat, leading to bad behavior for a while.

I have even known nervous humans to cause a kitten to pee in the wrong places: A 3-month old kitten went to a new home where it was the only pet; but the owners--a young couple--were away for most of the day, and when the kitten peed in a corner somewhere (in its original home, it had never once made a mistake), they made a great fuss. Pretty soon it was peeing here and there in the apartment, but not in its litter box. Finally, they called the breeder of the kitten, who told them to get it checked by the vet. The vet scolded them for scolding the kitten and said they should act very calm and if they caught it in the act, simply put it in the litter box and tell it pleasantly that that was the right place. Overnight, the kitten stopped peeing inappropriately and never did it again.

(4) Do you wash or shampoo the cat? (Unlike dogs, cats wash themselves so well that most can go all their lives without a human doing it for them, and they still smell good! [A male, un-neutered cat may be an exception to this, as they sometimes like to use their urine to declare their territories to other males, and it has a strong odor.]) A cat should only be washed when it has gotten into a harmful substance, or too much of even something not harmful, which the cat can't wash off with its own tongue. Being bathed is very upsetting to most cats.

I hope one of these suggestions will turn out to be helpful to you. As I wrote about the female cat that started peeing on a silk comforter after I got married, this problem can generally can be fixed, although perhaps not "overnight." Don't feel too upset and don't give up. A cat, even when a tiny kitten, is programmed to do its business in the same place all the time and that is what it would prefer. Most never make a mistake their whole lives unless senility or illness confuses them, so it is very likely that your kitten will not make a regular habit of peeing on the bed.

However, do make sure that you thoroughly wash the bedding and/or use some enzymatic pet scent remover to get rid of any lingering scent that would tell the kitten, "Yes, this smells of your urine, so it's the right place to go."

• Karen Andersen
    7 years ago

My male cat has done this also. I finally had to quit putting that comforter on my bed because he wouldn't stop, even after I washed the comforter. There is a product called Out and it is available at Big Lots and Walmart. It helps so much with odor removing. Our cat that has done this is a male cat. I did get really angry at him and yell at him and he stopped doing it, but he also moved upstairs with my husband and avoided me for a long time. I still can't use my comforter.

• biwako_of_abi
    7 years ago

That's sad. I'm sure you didn't mean to make the cat afraid of you, though I sure understand your frustration with his peeing on the comforter! The trouble is that unless you catch a cat in the very act of doing something wrong, it won't understand your anger, and that can make it afraid of you because you seem unpredictable.

Even if you do catch it in the act, I think a cat is more likely to stop the action if you can make it seem as if "the universe" or something is responding with an unpleasant noise (like setting off an alarm or clashing some metal pot lids together). As you know, cats don't care too much about pleasing US, but if a horrible (non-human voice) sound happens a few times just as a cat is doing something, it generally learns the lesson.

We once moved with 4 indoor cats to a place where the only thing keeping them indoors in summer was some flimsy window screens, and the windows were long and came down near the floor. I was worried that the cats might try to climb the screens, which could fall out or get ripped. So early on, the first time I let them have access to the rooms with those windows, I sat on the other side of the room and whenever a cat showed any signs of being about to stretch up and investigate the screens, I pushed the button on one of those alarm devices women carry to scare off muggers. It only took one or two such experiences for each cat to decide to give the screens a wide berth, and they never did anything like it again in the 4 years we were in that house. They seem not to have associated the unpleasantness with me.

I cured another cat of trying to snag food from my plate on the table because she hated the noise made when I rapped loudly on the plate with the handle of a metal knife. Even though I was right there doing the rapping, she didn't seem to connect me with the noise, so our relationship was undisturbed.

You say your cat avoided you for a long time. Has he gotten over it? I hope.

• Karen Andersen
    7 years ago

He has gotten over it. He has, once again, decided to start sleeping with me. He has been with my husband, upstairs, for years. Lately he is doing some of the same things that he did before with me. He has started sleeping in my bed with me again and this morning he moved to sleeping on me. We have several cats and I didn't mention that before. They are all fixed and none of them have ever had a problem with each other. Sylvester is the king of the cats, but he does tend to leave two other male cats alone. They are super sweet cats and Sylvester will sleep beside them.

• keithgaron273
    6 years ago

You can find some useful solutions here https://herekitt.com/why-did-my-cat-pee-on-my-bed/

• biwa45
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Now a year and more later, I don't know how I missed your comment, Karen. I'm very happy that the cat is sleeping with you again. My cats have all died and I miss them so much. The last and longest-lived one was my favorite, and he also used to sleep on top of me, like your cat. (He would never sleep on top of my husband, the idea seeming to horrify him.) I can never sleep as well now as I used to do when I had a couple of cats in the bed with me, and I feel sad a lot of the time, missing them, but hubby doesn't want any more, and I go along with that because we are old and I would hate to die knowing I was leaving some beloved cat behind to miss me and very likely not get another owner that loved them so much.

Sponsored
Pristine Acres
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars46 Reviews
Leading Northern Virginia Deck/Patio Specialist- 10X Best of Houzz!