SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blindstar

Flare fittings

blindstar
14 years ago

I was chatting with the guy doing fall maintenance on my oil fired boiler. He was commenting on the quality of work done by other companies. To demonstrate his point he broke the flare fitting on the filter and showed me the surface of the flare. It was clearly only making contact with the fitting along a narrow line. The flare looked to be formed by pressure and there was a ridge around the top of the flare that was making contact with the fitting. He pulled out his flaring tool and redid the copper. Now it looked like it had been reamed. He said that the other guy had probably used a "t-bar tool" and that any connections that he made were potential problems. He also said that the flare nuts should be heaver that what was used. His final comment was to use Gasoila on the flare surface. This is contrary to everything that I have heard about flare fittings and causes me to doubt his other comments.

This got me curious so I did some reading about flare fittings. Do I have this correct?

Fuel oil lines should be done with a 45 degree single flare.

You should never use any compound on the flare surface.

I find both expensive and cheap t-bar type tools and Papco style tools. The one he used was definitely a Papco style but heaver than any I have been able to find. The most expensive tools I have found are t-bar type Ridgid for $100-$200 with the Papco types around $60-$80. Is one type of tool better, for this application, or is it more about the quality of the tool?

Comments (5)