SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Guess who came for breakfast? (Dark, Handsome, and Feathered?_

caroline94535
14 years ago

Wes is taking Sam to southern Minnesota for a VJP puppy test this weekend; it's a "Deutsch Drahthaar thing".

He has the truck rumbling in the driveway and is loading up enough gear for a month-long expedition. Sam is dashing about being the versatile hunting goof-ball 68-lb. puppy he is, and I'm banging out the front door to bring Wes a j@cket.

I naturally look toward the Purple Martin pole and here he comes; an ASY (After Second Year = fully mature) male is coasting in to the gourd rack. At the last minute, probably due to all the noise and confusion we three were causing within 40' of the pole, he swooped up, between Wes and I who were maybe 20' apart, and perched on the very top of my huge maple by the garage.

I dashed back in the house to get the CD player and pop in "Daytime Chatter." (Recorded sounds from an active PM colony. It makes the newly arriving birds feel at ease.) By the time I did that Wes had gone and the Purple Martin had zoomed off.

I'm not worried; "He'll be back!"

I am so glad I opened three compartments last night. I "thought" I heard PMs three times yesterday; I "think" I did!

I've made a pot of tea; I have my sunglasses. I'm going out to open a few more gourds and then I'm sitting in the outd0or breakfast area until my flock comes in.

Stay tuned for photos.

8:57 a.m.

April 23, 2010

Larimore, ND

1 ASY male Purple Martin

1 very excitied, middle-aged lady dancing about the yard.

Several entertained neighbors

Comments (9)