SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dockside_gw

Going to France with two cats. Help!!

dockside_gw
16 years ago

We are going to spend 7 months in France, leaving in a year (plenty of time, we hope, to accomplish whatever we have to do before we leave). We have two cats, littermates, who will be 12 years old when we leave. They are very well behaved, always use their litter box. When they were younger, they traveled well (in carriers) in the car for short trips of about two hours.

We will be flying non-stop to Paris from Seattle. The cats will be in their carriers (we are bringing them with us in the cabin) at least 10 hours. Then we have 4 hours between planes in Paris before flying to Nice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this as easy on them as possible? What do you do about their relieving themselves? Are tranquilizers advisable?

We have identical soft-sided Samsonite cat carriers we just purchased. We have left them open on the floor. One cat jumped in, looked around, and jumped out. The other cat took a nap in it one afternoon when I put it on our bed. That's it. I had hoped they would spend time in them and come to think of them as their "home". Whenever we get our suitcases out to pack them, they always jump in them and would sleep in them if I let them. But not so, these "suitcases".

I'd appreciate whatever comments anyone has.

Comments (11)