SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
copanolady

Cats that will NOT adjust to new cat - please help!

copanolady
15 years ago

I hope someone can help me - I'm about to take the newcomer to the Humane Society and desperately do not want to but I'm at the end of my rope.

I have three cats all neutered, all indoor in a fairly large house. Six, sometimes 7 litter boxes are in the attached garage with access via pet door which they all use - no problem. Well, I adopted a new cat, a two year old neutered male. The problem is my other 3 simply will not accept him. They're all neutered, all from shelters or otherwise homeless. One, Dusty, a male is an Alpha cat++ about 5 yrs old. He and the other two - Natasha & Purrcilla all get along, sleep together, eat together, etc.

Now comes Pumpkin whom I adopted from Craig's List. His picture was pathetic - he was scrawny, his coat was sparse and all the fur on his nose was gone and scabby, even a little bloody. I took him to the vet and had him checked out before I exposed him to my other (healthy) cats. It turned out he had a mosquito allergy which was treated - $450., and he's a fine healty (indoor) cat now.

He and Dusty have had fights off and on - some serious. I expected that but not so intense. One was so serious that when I intervened, I noticed Dusty had some blood on his muzzle and his eye was watering - took him to the vet and he's on anti-biotics - another $150. Also Purrcilla is terrified of him and he does stalk her. She's afraid to go to the litter boxes because he'll chase her - so you know what happened - she peed on the living room carpet and of course, though I've used every cleaner, repellent, spray known to man, she is fixated on that spot. There's enzyeme cleaner and bubble wrap on it now. I really could just cry.

He's very loving (to me) and I don't want to give him up but I want my happy, peaceful home back!

He's in an upstairs bathroom with food, water and litter box right now and I'm at my wit's end. I'm a VERY experienced cat owner but don't know what to do. Please help with any suggestions. I forgot to mention - I adopted him about two weeks before Halloween (he's solid black & I was afraid who might take him at that time of year) but it's been almost three months! Most cats adjust after three or four weeks. I'm desperate, please help.

Comments (13)