SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mc_hudd

I lost one of my babies last weekend...

mc_hudd
16 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm not sure why I'm writing about this, maybe looking for some sympathy or something, but just feel I need to tell you guys...

A month or so ago I noticed this forum and posted a pic of my babies; Bailey, a St. Bernard, and Coffey, a Chocolate Lab. Well, last Sunday I lost my lab.

We live in town so I always take my dogs with me to my Mom & Dad's house in the country on Sundays so they can run and play with their dog. Well, last Sunday, about 15 minutes before I would've been leaving, my lab got into the road and was hit by a car. My Dad carried him into the house and my Mom had the vet. on the phone immediatly, but as Mom was telling the vet. that cost wasn't an issue, Coffey took his last couple of breaths and I knew he was gone.

He wasn't ran over, so there were no apparent injuries, but we all suspect he was hit w/ the bumper of the vehicle and died from some sort of head trauma.

I was and am still very upset about Coffey's death, but it also really irritates me that whoever hit him didn't even have the common courtesy to stop and tell anybody. I have never personally hit any animal (knock on wood), but I have always sworn that if I did hit anything that could be someone's pet, I would stop and tell somebody! I can't believe that ppl can be so careless!

The night Coffey died, my fiance was on his way to Louisana for work (construction; we live in MO) for a 3 week outing, so when I got home that night it was very hard, because in one day, I had lost Coffey and my fiance had left; but at least my fiance will be back and luckily I still have Bailey. This has probably been the hardest week of my life... I definitly have a huge hole left in my heart now. Bailey, my St. Bernard, has been so lonely, I really feel bad for him. The night this happened when Bailey and I got ready to leave, he didn't want to leave b/c Coffey wasn't w/ us. Then, the next day, we went back to bury Coffey on Mom & Dad's farm (where my fiance & I will soon be moving) and Bailey was looking all over for Coffey. I know that sounds odd, but I know my dogs & know that is what he was doing. I have tried to get Bailey to play, but he usually isn't interested, he misses his little brother so much!

I love my Dad so much though and really appreciate his thoughtfulness. When I went back the next day, he had found an old quilt trunk and fixed the inside of it up w/ a fluffy lining and put Coffey in it. He even rested his head on a little pillow... He made it look like Coffey was just taking a nap. I have thanked him for this, but he will never know how much this meant to me, b/c my Dad never has been a dog person, but did like Coffey and knew he meant a lot to me.

I just don't understand this. This was just so unfair. Coffey had just turned a year old on 9/2/07 and we had only had him since 10/8/06, and he did not deserve this. I'm sure many ppl will blame me for letting him be loose, but he had to be tied here at home so much that I liked being able to take him down there & let him run & play & just be a dog. (When we move, we will have a fenced in back yard just for Bailey & any future dogs.) I keep trying to tell myself that it's quality, not quantity that matters, b/c he did have a good life, but I still just don't understand it.

Anyway, I'm sorry for rambling, just needed to vent a little I guess... Thanks for listening.

Comments (12)