SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amyvenditti

Modifying/moving a gas line for new stove?

amyvenditti
14 years ago

Hi everyone.

Here's my situation: I decided it was time to get rid of my 20yo gas stove. I purchased a new gas slide in stove (no back control panel). I thought since I wasn't converting electric to gas or moving the location, etc, it should be a very simple job. Of course, I should have known better, because nothing in my house is easy.

My problem is the black pipe sticks up about a foot out of the floor a few inches from the wall. I didn't realize that the old stove wasn't pushed back and the space between the stove and the wall was concealed by the back control panel. So, in order to push my new stove closer to the wall (it's out a good 3-4" inches currently) I need to reconfigure the hook up.

I called a plumber I know, but he said it would be a simple job to re-route the pipe to the other side of the floor joist in the basement ceiling below, that way it would come up through the wall behind the stove. However, it's labor intensive and would cost $200-$300.

What are my other options? Can we cut off the pipe close to the floor, attach an elbow and run black pipe horizontally under the stove back to the wall, then another elbow to run a vertical piece to the shut off and flex hose? How much are hand tools to thread a couple pieces of pipe by hand? My dad has experience with gas plumbing, but we are trying to figure out the easiest (safe) way to do this.

I think bonded CSST would be an easy option here, but I don't think DIYers can purchase it.

Help!

Thanks!

Comment (1)