SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forgottensong

Home Depot's policy. Why am I not surprised.

forgottensong
14 years ago

The manager of the HD in Warwick, Rhode Island told me that the kitchen designer is an Associate and that he has no responsibility to the customer but only to HD. I was shocked! Why would I shop at a store whose employees have no responsibility to their customers? I'd think the responsibility is to the customer so that he/she has a well designed kitchen that is in fact usable.

HD offered us a resolution to the issue of the designer's mistakes in our kitchen. Our contractor added up the cost for remedies for design mistakes and the total is $6,000. HD will give us $2,000. If our contractor did not fix all the mistakes, we would not have been able to use our kitchen, or physically get around in it. The manager told me that Corporate wants to give us nothing at all indicating that it wouldn't be worthwhile calling them. I have had conversations with Corporate and they wanted HD in Warwick to come to a resolution. I'm waiting for a call from Corporate.

Do you think the $2,000 is fair - all we'll ever get?

The designer, in fact, came into our house and viewed the problems. He didn't take responsibility for any of them and has not told the truth about much of anything. I am told that since the design changed because of his mistakes (he put the oven cabinet on top of light switches) or if I wanted a different cabinet, etc. then HD is only responsible for the original design, none of the permutations of the design. Meanwhile, the designer told us at each step, with each different look of the kitchen ( that he designed and gave us photos of) that the modifications were appropriate and suitable for our space requirements.

Because of HD's policy that none of the employees are responsible to the customer and because it's such a bad remedy, we, our friends, family and the contractor won't ever shop there again. It should be sad for them to lose a contractor since they inevitably spend a ton of money.

PS: The HD manager called our contractor after she viewed our kitchen and noted his attention to detail, precise woodworking and how he fixed all the designer's mistakes, and asked him to work for HD. He laughed. He doesn't want to be correcting HD design mistakes on his jobs for the rest of his working life.

Comments (31)

• padola07
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I got my cabinets from HD. I sort of already knew what I wanted but the designer was very good. She was a certified KD and knew what she was talking about. She also seemed to care about my kitchen. Everytime I go back to HD she asks me how things are going.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I can't even imagine how I would feel if someone screwed up kitchen cabinets. Its a toss up with HD, it just depends on who you get. Some are good some are not very good.

• bobb_2010
    14 years ago

This cannot be the exact quote! No company who has any sense or a customer relation department is gonna tell you their employed is not responsible for the customer.

What I imagine them saying that the in-house designer is a freelance contractor, HD is renting him space to be there, and all transaction details is between the contractor and you. Kinda like what eBay tells u.

If indeed you quoted correctly, why, pass the info to your local radio/TV station consumer affairs person, and they would be more than happy to have such an explosive story! Why u may get the whole thing for free, twice!

• Related Discussions

I am surprised

Q

Comments (32)
    I guess it would make sense with some of the hybrids. As for heat tolerance, this has been a rainy summer with afternoon showers quite often, probably cooled down some of those days in the nineties. I can say this summer did not affect the growth of any of my plants, but 'Lunametista' abruptly stopped flowering in August. 'Coral Seas' is still a very rampant grower and I've started cuttings that grow just as readily, no signs of flowers.
    ...See More

I am building a house....i have no idea what i am doing :)

Q

Comments (22)
    We bought our land 4 years before we built our home. We wanted to build our dream home and were not in a hurry to rush into it and then regret decisions made too quickly. I was the designer on the project and honestly enjoyed all that it entailed. We also had a wonderful builder that made the whole process go seamlessly and stress free. After we chose a house plan and had it updated to include the must-haves on our list, I poured over those plans for hours and hours making sure each room was as ideal as possible. Now is the time to decide if you want an HVAC duct in that place or a light switch or outlet in that spot. Decide if you want floor outlets, special outlets in pantries or cleaning closets. Are the rooms the right size? Could a couple feet make a difference anywhere? I sure wish we had made our laundry room 3 feet wider. Choose as many products as you can before your builder gives you his estimate. If you want granite and he's giving you laminate pricing the cost will be more. Also, painting the interior all one color is less expensive than having several rooms painted differently. Are you going with pre-painted siding or having the exterior custom painted? Are you using brick, cultured stone or natural stone? Huge difference between brick and natural stone. Plumbing fixtures vary in price as do lighting and appliances. Make sure he's taking your choices into account with his bottom line. Think about any upgrades in insulation, soundproofing, radiant heating, etc. The best advice I can give from someone who's been there, done that, is to sit down and really think about how you want the house to look, function and feel....and cost. Are there things you can't do without? For us it was a 3rd garage, his & hers master's closets, a computer space off the kitchen area where we can monitor our son, and a particular type of kitchen layout. Break the house plan down room by room if it's overwhelming but KNOW WHAT YOU WANT. If you're unsure of that then you can be talked into a lot of stuff you will find out later you really didn't need or want. Almost all of us have to stick to a budget so the trick is getting what you want overall at a price you can afford. This website is a treasure trove of information that I'm sure will benefit you in the days to come. Good luck on your build and keep your chin up.
    ...See More

water softeners--why a company vs. basic one at a home depot?

Q

Comments (8)
    There are more choices... 1. Buy a pre-built box store softener from Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, or the like. You'll get no substantive assistance from the sales person in correctly selecting the proper size and setting it up to operate efficiently. They have shorter lives, parts can be expensive and somewhat exclusive, and they are hard to work on. Warranty service is iffy and never timely. They can work OK on city water that is low in hardness but they have problems on high hardness water and water with iron. The most complained about softeners on the internet and they are not really much less expensive than an industry standard softener. 2. Buy from Culligan or Kinetico or another of the brand name companies. Cost more. Better quality parts. Well trained service people. Warranties that are worth having. Parts are proprietary and more costly but these companies support their products for a long time. It is common to see posts from the owners of these brands that have softeners that are running for 15 to 20 years and then they have them rebuilt. Kinetico owners are particularly loyal and there is a reason. 3. Local Independent Water Treatment Professionals offer an anonymous industry standard softener assembled from quantity components like Fleck control valves and Structural resin tanks. They have no allegiance to any brand and offer a lot of softener for the money. They service what they sell. They are found in the Yellow Pages under water treatment and are worth looking into. 4. Buy online... for the competent DIYer. Best price on an industry standard softener. No service by definition. Known to recommend the wrong size softener so you think your getting an even better deal. Replacement part under warranty is always UPS or FedEx away. A good online softener seller can work out fine IF the buyer knows what they are doing. Avoid buying a softener from a plumber. Plumbers are great at plumbing but rarely really know, or care to know, anything about water treatment including how to correctly size and set up a softener. Plumbers often just sell whatever the plumbing supply sells and you don't want whatever softener. Since you presently have a soften installed I would hit the Yellow Pages and call an Independent Water Treatment Pro and have them come out and give you a quote to replace your ancient and inefficient timer based softener with a contemporary demand initiated model. It will save you a lot of money in wasted water and should be sized to regenerate once a week.
    ...See More

A mislabel I got from Home Depot this year

Q

Comments (4)
    Yes! the first mislabel of the year for me but it is only the 4th bulb I have had bloom so far. I have only had amaryllis that I bought from the big box stores bloom so far. Today I potted up bulbs I got from White Flower Farms, Easy to Grow Bulbs, and a few of the ones I got from Blooming Bulb'S. I got some more to pot up that I received from Blooming Bulbs and all the ones I got from Van Engelen but I am trying to pot up only a few a week so that I don't have them all blooming at the same time. I still haven't gotten my bulbs from Royal Colors yet that I ordered several weeks ago but that's ok.
    ...See More
  • forgottensong
    Original Author
    14 years ago

He's a certified designer also. Mgt. says he's one of their top designers. They seem to do a lot of bowing and praying to him. Seems to me he's grossly negligent and doesn't seem to know rudimentary design and building techniques.

What do you think of the $2,000 vs. the $6,000?

It's our last experience with HD. Not ever again. For some reason the manager of HD called Kraft Maid about the design proplems and about a remedy. How very odd. KM has nothing to do with the designer's ability to design a kitchen. KM merely supplied cabinets in boxes.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

But padola07, did you have any major issues like the OP had? If not, then you don't really know how your KD would have reacted. If so and she took responsibility for her mistakes, then you're lucky...but it is NOT the norm at HD.

My experience w/EXPO (HD was EXPO's parent) is that the OP is correct...unless pushed HARD, they expect the customer to pay for any mistakes the KD makes. BTW...it's not always the KD's fault about the policy...sometimes they're forced into it b/c their manager insists on it. That was our KD's problem...her manager kept trying to override her when she was fixing her mistakes, but once Corporate got involved, her manager backed off.

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

My instinct is that they (HD store mgr, corporate) will bully you and talk you down into accepting this "settlement" so you will go away. That they would offer $ and admit there were mistakes made makes me think that they have the discretion to offer you more. But they won't unless they're strong-armed a bit.

Without being able to see what HD's terms were or with what parties you were actually contracting (the designer directly? HD? both?), what I would do is tell them - firmly- that you're prepared to file suit in small claims court for breach of contract, you have a reliable and credible witness (your contractor) and your itemized paperwork/bills/photos as admissible evidence to back up your claim; however, you are SURE that they can do better than $2000 (which is unacceptable) to reimburse you for the unworkable kitchen they installed in your house.

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

I think what they were trying to communicate to you is that the employee is not *legally* responsible -- HD is. The designer is in an employee relationship with HD. You purchased everything, including their services (built into the cost or not) from HD, not the employee. In other words, you can't sue the employee but you can sue HD if you want.

If you can't get a resolution through corporate, I would think small claims court is an option for you. I wouldn't expect the company to cover all the costs -- when does a remodel not go over budget? -- but 1/3 seems too low to me if the primary problems were with the design and the designer was provided correct information.

I'm glad the contractor was on your side.

• jrueter
    14 years ago

I am sorry you are going through this. I have also had horrible experiences w/HD and Expo (I must be a slow learner) and I know more people that will only go there to pick up some supplies, but never anything complicated or special order. In every case I ran into they repeatedly told me there was nothing they could do although in every case the problem was completely 100% their fault. Eventually they realized I wasn't going away without a reasonable solution (meaning it didn't cost me anything more). I am not a lawyer, so won't tell you whether to sue, but I think three_daisy's suggestion sounds like a good approach. Best of luck.

• padola07
    14 years ago

buehl,
    I did have a minor problem. The designer (or rather we both) put stem glass holders under a cabinet that is supposed to have under cabinet lights. I posted a question earlier asking if I can have both. The answer seemed to be no

So its been more than 30 or 90 days so usually there is a restocking fee after that but my designer told me I could return it without a restocking fee if I said the reason for the stem glass holder was designer oversight. So I just returned it yesterday with no restocking.

There were a number of other cases where my designer skirted the company policy to make life easier for me. For example you need to pay $100 for a measurement before getting a design. She did my design without a measurement although there was a note on her desk that said "NO DESIGNS WITHOUT MEASUREMENT". Also she had the Manager on Duty clear the use of expired coupons in addition to the "take it or leave it" price that I already "left" when I thought I was going to go totally custom. Yeah some things she did cos she was trying close a deal, but some were after she had the sale.

My point is that HD is such a large company and hence not very homogeneous. Sometimes it stinks sometimes it doesn't stink as much. You really wouldn't stay in business very long if you have a cooperate policy of treating customers badly as in the case of the OP.

• forgottensong
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bobb 2010

That IS the exact quote. I exploded when the mgr said it the first time and she repeated it. The designer is not freelance, not renting space and receives all of the benefits of a full time employee of HD. Therefore, I'm thinking that HD should be responsible.

I left a message for Corporate about that attitude and hope it's not theirs also. I'm hoping for a better input from Corporate but if the manager is telling the truth then Corporate wishes to give us nothing at all. I find it completely odd that HD mgr called up Kraft Maid for a solution to our proplem when they aren't HD, are not the designer and merely had cabinets delivered in boxes. What a completely strange way to affect your business!

I made no acceptance for the $2,000 and told the mgr that I'd think about it. She said there will be papers to sign if a check is cut for me. I can only imagine what that will be. Probably not to say bad things about the designer or HD.

alabamanicole, how I heard the statement is that the designer isn't responsible - if I have asked for a different size cabinet, window, or a different look - for the outcome of the kitchen. She said he is responsible ONLY for the first draft of the kitchen. I told her that kitchens go through various changes which she said she is aware that happens. The designer told us after 2 minor changes to 1 wall that the design would fit appropriately into our space given that he had all measurements. Problem is that we couldn't exit the back door because he put the oven cabint an inch from the casing of the back door. DH walks with 2 crutches or canes and also if we carried anything in our left arm we'd smash right into the oven. The dog couldn't even get in or out the door.

Blame is being thrown around by HD. Mgt says it's our contractor's fault for not picking apart the design, and our fault for asking for a bigger window and 2 wider cabinets. I say, us not being either a KD or a contractor, it was up to the designer to say, "this kitchen wall won't fit in your space, we need to re-do it". We never dreamed we couldn't use the door until the contractor had the cabinets lined up. At that point I called the other mgr who had the designer come to our home. The designer refused to accept responsibility and told us there was nothing he could do, he would NOT rework the design. I think he wouldn't re-do the design because he LOVED the look of our kitchen. He wanted photos of it to put in his portfolio.

• kompy
    14 years ago

HD and Lowes both really don't want to be in the kitchen remodeling business, but it kind of goes with the territory of a 'home center'. They'd much rather sell stuff off their shelves. Kitchen remodeling is so specialized and detail-oriented, they KNOW it's a train wreck waiting to happen.

The reason the manager called KraftMaid is this: Maybe they were hoping that Kraftmaid would help them out somehow. And why would they do that???? Kraftmaid sells to all big box stores at a higher price than independants (this is a fact!). So, please, give the local dealer a chance. His price should be just as good and they will probably be more experienced designers/salespeople. So, why does KM sell at a higher cost, you wonder? It's because KM has to do all designer training. Plus, if the salespeople there make mistakes on a kitchen, KraftMaid has agreed to take back any 'un-installed' cabinet, no questions asked. That is why KM has that big cheapie outlet store up in NE Ohio. They are pretty much all box store screw ups. Local dealers do NOT get this benefit. If they make a mistake, they eat it. So, KM charges the big box stores for this service.

If you read some of the box store's contracts, you'd run screaming. One of my clients brought in a countertop replacement contract and pretty much EVERYTHING was on the homeowner to verify. It was crazy.

I also highly doubt this person was a CKD. Maybe he was a certified designer by KraftMaid....meaning he went to their training school for a few days. What a joke!

I don't know if you'll ever get more out of them, besides the $2000. But I would keep trying. Good luck!

• rayrose
    14 years ago

When I did my kitchen, I got a quote from HD and decided to go with them. I had my KD do the measurements and I took them to HD for the quote. HD made me sign a waiver stating that they were using my measurements, and that I would be responsible for any variances. If you used HD's
    measurements, and they came to your house and did the measurements (here HD charges to do on site measurements),
    then they should be responsible for any variances. I think that every HD store manager is responsible for his store's bottom line, and he's looking out for his bottom line. I would not accept the $2000, and I would press corporate to do the right thing.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

I'm reading this thread as I was about to call Home Depot to set up an appointment for a "free" kitchen design. I went to Lowes a few days ago. Now I'm scared.

I would stand your ground. This might not be your style but I would go to the store on a busy saturday. Make sure that are lots of people in the kitchen area. Start talking very loudly about their $6000 mistake. If you talk politely but firmly often you can get what you want. As someone else mentioned contact your local media. Many TV stations have a consumer affairs advocate.

• jimandanne_mi
    14 years ago

I had issues with the KM cabinets I ordered from HD, and our HD KD and our HD store manager backed us completely. If there had been a problem with the sizing of the cabinets, or the layout, it would have been on my shoulders, 'cause I had to sign off on EVERYTHING in the manager's presence on the original order before it was sent to KM.

I will say this about ANY kitchen order--it's in your own best interest to triple check each cabinet against the final layout before the order is submitted. Make yourself an expert in understanding the code used for each cabinet ordered. Even if the KD does admit to making a mistake, changing anything will slow down your remodel/build.

If you're going to work with HD or Lowes, wander around the kitchen department when they're busy, and eavesdrop on the various KDs as they interact with other clients. See if they seem to know what they're doing. Think about if you'd want to work with their personality. But maybe most importantly, see who the go-to person is for the other KDs. That's how I chose my 2 KDs at HD. And I chose my son's because I had had some contact with her at another HD when I'd been looking for countertops. She had been super about calling manufacturers about questions I had. So, although I didn't have her design my kitchen, when it was time to do DS's bath room, I suggested her. And since he was satisfied with her work on that, he wanted her to do his kitchen.

Right now, we're waiting for an extra piece that we ordered after the main order went in for my son's kitchen remodel. He'd told the HD KD to hold it at the store, and he'd pick it up. Instead, she had it sent to his condo by UPS, and it never arrived. The HD expediter was stalling (different HD than the one I'd used), so my son contacted the KD who took responsibility for sending it instead of holding is since she was trying to be helpful. But now we're waiting for the replacement piece to arrive (which he doesn't have to pay for, since the loss of the other one was not his fault), and he's had another 7-10 days without the use of his kitchen.

BTW, I went with HD instead of an independent designer/company, since someone from the latter is on commission. I started to work with a commissioned sales person, and realized very quickly that she would not want to spend the amount of time I'd want for going over the picky details, me changing my mind, my indefinite time frame, etc. At HD, I always made my appointments when the store was less likely to be busy, and was always able to get as much time as I needed. I did the same at another HD for my previous kitchen.

Anne

• Sara_in_philly
    14 years ago

You probably had previous posts that I didn't see and these questions have been asked. How did you pay the whole thing? If you paid HD by credit card, you can call the credit card company to dispute the charge until you get the whole thing settled.

• squigs
    14 years ago

forgottensong - I have seen your older posts, and I feel so bad that this is how it ended up for you. I also think you should stand your ground. It sounds to me like your Home Depot manager needs a demotion!

From reading here for so long, I've seen people very happy and satisfied with HD, and people with horror stories such as Forgottensong. And I've also seen people with horror stories with custom kitchen shops and local cabinetmakers as well as people who have been thrilled with theirs.

So if you are just starting out on a remodel, don't let a handful of experiences scare you away from Lowes or HD (or woodmode or whatever particular place someone's having a bad time with); rather, let it help to educate you. Understanding that things are handled differently all over, talk to people locally. Find out from your local friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. who is good and who is not good in your area.

I was lucky. We used HD and Kraftmaid. We ran into some issues along the way, and everything has been handled to our satisfaction and we are very pleased. A kitchen remodel is a huge undertaking, and there are almost invariably problems that will go along with it. It's really good to know that your problems will be handled when they arise. I can highly recommend KM, as well as our local HD and their contractors.

Forgottensong - I hope in the end you get satisfaction. In the meantime, keep spreading the word about your Home Depot. That kind of treatment by a store manager deserves it!

• numbersjunkie
    14 years ago

I'm not sure this type of mistake is limited to the big box stores. I know others who trusted others to redo their kitchens - some worked out very well and some had major problems like forgottensong experienced. And I'm not sure paying for a high priced designer eliminates the risk.

I approached my kitchen project with the attitude that I would trust no one about anything. I question everything. There's too much money on the line here. So unless you have fabulous references (and keep in mind that the expectations of others may not align with yours), or unlimited funds, I think anyone embarking on a kitchen renovation needs to learn as much as possible about kitchen design (and plumbing, and electrical work ....) by reading GW and anything else you can find. I know the knowledge I've gained by reading this site has been invaluable, and I've read enough horror stories to know I am doing the right thing (for me) by being a PITA client.

Just my 2 cents.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

I had a very unpleasant experience with Amana over my new heat pump. Using every avenue I could think of, I ended up at the BBB site and filed a complaint. Like magic, Amana was sending me personal letters. AND they paid my repair costs on a year old heat pump. Mr. Google will find the appropriate site for you. It's free.

• oldhousegal
    14 years ago

forgottensong- I'm so sorry you are going through this with HD. I refuse to shop there due to a similar instance in which they would not stand behind the product or accept responsibility for my special order being broken. Now, all my business goes to local vendors only- even if it costs more.
    Get on the line to corporate if you don't hear back and hound them until they fix it all. I agree that calling your local TV station as most of them have a consumer report part of their broadcast and I'm sure they would love to air your story. It would get great results- at least it always does when I see it. Accept nothing but the full refund and cost to fix!
    Good luck with this, and hang in there until it's resolved!

• User
    14 years ago

You've described multiple errors that I know just wouldn't occur unless there were some bypassing of the written design protocols. Bypassing the process would NEVER be at HD's initative. We know that too many $$ is at stake to do that. We'd be written up in a heartbeat if we didn't follow the process.

Who did the measuring for the design? We offer a professional measure and design consultation for only $100. Cheap insurance for sure! If your contractor did it and provided the measurements to HD, then HD isn't responsible for errors based on measuring. You signed that waiver and you and your contractor own that issue.

Once you have a final design, you are required to do a walkthrough with the installer with the design on site and he signs off on the design to certify that it fits the space. If you choose to not use HD's installers and use your own, then it's up to your installer to do that step. If you choose to not have your installer walk through the design on site, then any install problems are you and your installer's problem. You didn't do the required due diligence.

Once the final design has been walked through on site, you must sign off on the design before it's ordered. You approve the elevations and the design. The cabinets will not be ordered unless you personally approve the whole design. THe elevations show the doorways and how close to those doorways or windows that the cabinets go. These are only renderings of how the design that you previously stepped out onsite will look. The actual measuring of any clearances should have occurred at the preconstruction conference.

If, after all of the safety steps, an error occurs, then HD gladly and rapidly fixes any problems at our cost.

The issues arise when customers want to provide their own measurement and use their own contractors. Their contractors may not measure accurately or go through the required steps of a proper design sequence.

Problems also arise when customers have finalized designs and then want to do changes to those designs after the fact. They don't always want to take the time to assess the domino impact that changing one item in a kitchen can have. They often think it's "one little change", not realizing that changing the base MW cabinet size may mean changing every other cabinet in that run if you want symmetry in uppers and lowers or if you don't want that larger base MW cabinet to crowd a doorway etc. If you have changes after a design has been finalized, then you didn't have a true final design and you rushed to order prematurely. That leads to a whole host of problems.

Bottom line is that I've designed kitchens for 6 years with HD and although there have been kitchens with some errors, the customer has always been taken 100% care of it's it's HD's fault and the customer has used HD's installers. THe problem gets fixed. Always. HD's installers work hand in hand with HD's designers to implement the designs properly and that's what all of the checks are designed to achieve. It almost always works the way it's supposesd to.

If it was a grey area in which both HD and the customer share some of the blame for the problem, then HD usually offers to help fix the problem by providing merchandise and thus shares the cost of the fix. Under no circumstances does HD ever reimburse a customer for a third party laborer. It was the customer's choice to not use HD's installers, and HD has no control over the quality or price of 3rd party labor and thus they only offer to provide material.

If the customer is at fault for the problem, then HD does their best to help the customer fix the problem, but doesn't offer any discounts or freebies. If the customer provided incorrect measurements such as ceiling heights being taller than they are in all spots, then HD will order new cabinets for the customer with the customer paying full price. They will call the manufacturer to see if they will take back the wrong sized cabinets, but there isn't any guarantee that that will be possible. Customers sign a whole bunch of paperwork when ordering cabinets, including the statement that "custom orders are not returnable" and thus any customer sourced errors must be borne by the customer unless the manufacturer is willing to help out.

Forgottensong, I've seen your posts before about your being unhappy with your KM cabinets. You've never provided pictures of those cabinets for anyone else to help you to assess if what you are unhappy about is normal or abnormal. You've never posted a design for feedback. You've never posted a single layout of your space at all. You've just posted about your unhappy experiences. I'd really like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you've never posted a single postive thing about your kitchen at all, and I'm really sorry to say this, but some people just can't be made happy and it seems to me that you might be one of these people. And it seems that you want to lay blame on HD publicly just like you did KM when what you are experiencing is normal (as far as the cabinet variation) or due to you and your contractor for skirting the correct steps of the design process.

Please prove me wrong. Post pictures of your kitchen. Post your kitchen's dimensions. Post your layout. Post the layout with the changes that you wanted. Post something objective rather than emotional.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    14 years ago

"I made no acceptance for the $2,000 and told the mgr that I'd think about it. She said there will be papers to sign if a check is cut for me. I can only imagine what that will be. Probably not to say bad things about the designer or HD."

Forgottensong, I am pretty new here but I wouldn't sign anything yet. They do want you to stop making noise and go away quietly. And I'm sure the manager wants you to stop with her and not go over her head.

Which is why I agree with those above who've suggested your television or newspaper's consumer affairs show. I would also write some old-fashioned letters *on paper*, rather than phone or email, to H ome Depot's headquarters with copies to your store manager, the KD, and also

Frank Blake, Chairman and CEO
    Craig Menear, Executive Vice President, Merchandising
    Frank Bifulco, Chief Marketing Officer and Senior VP
    Marvin Ellison, Executive Vice President of U.S. stores

adressed to them at

Home Depot, Inc.
    Customer Care
    2455 Paces Ferry Rd
    Atlanta, GA 30339-4024
    770-433-8211

At that same address is the more general Customer Care Division at H ome Depot, and by email, customercare@homedepot.com

I'd send along with any photographs you might have of the original work that needed fixing. I would also remind them of their "Values", which are on the corporate website, too,

3. Doing the right thing:
    We exercise good judgment by "doing the right thing" instead of just "doing things right." We strive to understand the impact of our decisions, and we accept responsibility for our actions.
    4. Excellent customer service:
    Along with our quality products, service, price and selection, we must go the extra mile to give customers knowledgeable advice about merchandise and to help them use those products to their maximum benefit. ...
    6. Building strong relationships:
    Strong relationships are built on trust, honesty and integrity. We listen and respond to the needs of customers, associates, communities and vendors, treating them as partners.

The KD may not, according to your store, have any responsibility to the customer, but most of the higher ups at HD probably think HD does. This is rather an interesting article about HD wanting to increase c ustomer service,

http://www.allbusiness.com/company-activities-management/financial-performance/11877500-1.html

You might also want to tell them that if you don't receive satisfaction, that you will start a Facebook page, a blog, and a Twitter campaign, but you'd be happy to call all of that off once they look after things.

Good luck and hang tough, Forgottensong! The worst they can say is no...

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot's corporate website

• squigs
    14 years ago

well, I guess I should add to my earlier post that we also did use Home Depot installation contractors for our Kraftmaid cabinets. At first, we thought that would be a bad move, that we should get our own GC to do it. But I was convinced by some trusted people that our HD has good people and we won't be sorry. The installation company were very thorough in the detail, and the carpenters were very detail oriented. The KD made what turned out to be a slight filler detail error that wasn't picked up on. But Kraftmaid did pick up on it and made everything right.

So yes, I am glad I used Home Depot, had them measure and install. That left it all on them. they did a beautiful job.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Wow, is that HD's "policy" for dealing with unhappy customers? Blame them? Call them "one of those people?"

As in, one of those people who complain when their exit doors can't be opened?

This thread has been very, very eye-opening about HD. And I'm not talking about the OP.

• Sharon kilber
    14 years ago

That manager, sound's like a real piece of work. Go to the top. My son, work's for Lowes, while going to school. He, said if anyone' let a problem get to corperate, they are in big trouble. Because they are not soppose to let it get that far. Just because this person, has a name tag on saying manager, doesn't mean he, has any common sense. The other day I, called a store, and ask them if they would match another stores sale price. The saleman, said we, only match the regular price. I, said ask the manager. The sales man came back and said the manager, said the same thing. I, said why would I, even be asking to match the regular price. I, just shook my head, and hung up. This was in a HD, in phoenix. sharaz

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"The manager told me that Corporate wants to give us nothing at all indicating that it wouldn't be worthwhile calling them. I have had conversations with Corporate and they wanted HD in Warwick to come to a resolution. I'm waiting for a call from Corporate. "

of course the mngr doesn't want you to go to corporate! my X didn't want to go to court to change child support either - his lawyer tried to pressure me into an out of court amount. I held firm, went into court and got double what he wanted to give...

anyway, hopefully you did take pics of what was wrong in it all. did your gc fix the problems as he went along?

did you have HD install cabs or your gc? my sister had HD install hers - she wasn't impressed with them.

• rosiew
    14 years ago

Forgottensong,

You've got a place to stay if you decide to come to Atlanta to duke it out with Corporate HD....with me.
    You'll have to put up with a living room full of drying racks for my cabinet doors and drawers, but I've left paths.

I am so over doing business with HD. Have lived in the Atlanta area since 1981, shopping then at their second store, then #3 was built near me. Still a small but definitely growing operation then. But that's not really the point here. YOU HAVE BEEN WRONGED. And I'm confident you will get your money back - hopefully with punitive damages also.

Come visit! Open-ended invite!

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

• morgne
    14 years ago

Hollysprings,

You said:

"Forgottensong, I've seen your posts before about your being unhappy with your KM cabinets. You've never provided pictures of those cabinets for anyone else to help you to assess if what you are unhappy about is normal or abnormal. You've never posted a design for feedback. You've never posted a single layout of your space at all. You've just posted about your unhappy experiences. I'd really like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you've never posted a single postive thing about your kitchen at all, and I'm really sorry to say this, but some people just can't be made happy and it seems to me that you might be one of these people. And it seems that you want to lay blame on HD publicly just like you did KM when what you are experiencing is normal (as far as the cabinet variation) or due to you and your contractor for skirting the correct steps of the design process".

You SOUND like you've worked for HD for 6 years. This is exactly the kind of comment I would expect from an employee there. Forgottensong is venting and frustrated and probably many other things. So your response is that you must assume she is just a problem child since she hasn't provided any proof to you. There are two problems with this.

The first is that she isn't attempting to prove anything to you right now. She is talking about her point of view not being interrogated. She has no reason to prove anything to you at all, or to the people of gardenweb in general.

The second is that the items you are looking for; the floorplans, designs, or measurements will not provide proof of anything. So I'm not sure why you are using the lack of those things as an attempt to undermine her dissatisfaction with the company.

You specifically say that "I'd really like to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you've never posted a single postive thing about your kitchen at all" This statement is so bizarre that I'm not even sure how to respond to it. Because she doesnt shared positive information with you doesn't prove the negative information false. Take it a step further; If her experience has been negative WHY would she then post positive things? Either way... what does that have to do with the situation?

Then you say:

"Under no circumstances does HD ever reimburse a customer for a third party laborer. It was the customer's choice to not use HD's installers, and HD has no control over the quality or price of 3rd party labor and thus they only offer to provide material."

It doesn't seem like Forgotten song is having an issue with cabinet installation. She is having an issue with things like cabinets being designed to go over the top of electrical outlets. HD does not run electrical lines so having HD fix it is beyond their legal scope (since they are not licensed contractors, etc). So we are not discussing an installation, so much as a design that does not take electrical into account.

Lastly, I worked for a construction firm for several years and they did many measurements & installations for HD during my time there. This was 6-8 years ago so processes may have changed but during that period HD outsourced all of it's measureing and installation to private contractors and I believe that is still the case. To say there were errors is an understatement.

Now forgottensong may in fact be "one of those people". Some days I am one of those people. But is it your place to call her on it? No. What reason could you have? And have you just exemplified Home Depot by responding to her concerns in the same way they did? Yes.

• User
    14 years ago

If the original measurements don't indicate where te electrical outlets are located, then it's not surprising that cabinets may have been designed to go on top of outlets. It all comes down to the actual factual details, of which we have none except this post that you're calling a "vent". It seems to be aimed at forcing HD to up the ante on their offer of settlement to the "problem". A problem that we don't have any concrete details about. Or any pictures. Or diagrams. Or supporting documentation of any kind. Just "venting".

Plumeriavine showed numerous pictures of her problems with her contractors. Many many pictures. And she "vented" against them as well. Without naming names. It was easy to see what the issues were and she still didn't name names.

Going public without your ducks in a row is very near libel. If you're going to "vent" in a public forum and name names, more documentation should be put forth to justify your POV. I'm not unsympathetic, but from what I know personally about how the design process works at HD, this big of a mistake could never have happened unless that design process wasn't followed.

• morgne
    14 years ago

She does not need to justify her point of view. That's one of the points I am trying to make to you here. She has no reason, legal or otherwise, to try and convince YOU that home depot has been a problem for her. Zero.

And at the point when HD is offering a settlement based on designer mistakes I think that proves this is not a situation for libel. You said "If the customer is at fault for the problem, then HD does their best to help the customer fix the problem, but doesn't offer any discounts or freebies". That means that acoording to both you AND forgottensong the very offer of the 2,000 admits that HD found their designer at fault; now it's simply a matter of coming to agreement now on how to compensate for that fault.

I could tell you many, many stories of HD mistakes. Both on the designer level and on the contractors later. It is entirely possible to have a GREAT purchase/install from HD but there is certainly precident to show that they can go very poorly as well. If HD is willing to offer her money to make repairs based on their mistakes, having assumably! checked out the claims ahead of time, then why do you feel the need to refute that admission? Much less accuse her of libel?

You say you are "not unsympathetic" but I have heard very little sympathy. You called the poster "one of those people" and accused her of lying with NO reason to believe she was and every reason to believe that HD at least thought she had just cause.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Accusations of libel?

Wow.

• gillycat
    14 years ago

what i am getting out of this, especially the comments from hollysprings, is that the consumer is supposed to be as knowledgeable as a certified kitchen designer.
    Well, most consumers are knowledgeable about their own career and the reason they consult "experts" is to get the correct advice and information. It is not up to the homeowner to know exactly where things should or should not go. where electrical lines are etc.
    i know that I made suggestions to my contractor that i thought were good ideas but understood when he explained why they could not be done that way.

Hollysprings says
    "If the original measurements don't indicate where the electrical outlets are located, then it's not surprising that cabinets may have been designed to go on top of outlets'

why did the designer , who should KNOW about this, not ask and VERIFY where the outlets are? Is that not part of his job?

sound very strange to me and certainly not an attitude a retail business should have. ( and i know about retail - I work in the field)